Ideal RJ-45 Connectors ?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
These have been short cables, like 1 or 2 feet. Did a google search and am getting different answers about minimum length. Could that be the problem.?
No, other than my particular tester has a problem doing a "transmission" test with short cables. Continuity and wire mapping works fine.

-Hal

Todd0x1

Had another ethernet cable with Ideal connectors fail yesterday when connected between a Beijer HMI and an ABB XIO-04 controller. Like before, it tested fine with a Scout 2 tester. Just got a bag of Ampcon amcat6250100. We'll see if they do better.

These have been short cables, like 1 or 2 feet. Did a google search and am getting different answers about minimum length. Could that be the problem.?
whats the p/n of these ideal connectors you have?

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
No, other than my particular tester has a problem doing a "transmission" test with short cables. Continuity and wire mapping works fine.

-Hal
Hmmm, if you get a transmission problem when testing short cables, then that might be the problem. I should be able to mess with it next week.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Correct. Telco wiring is NOT twisted-pair. The first four colors were the standard, at least for residential wiring.
Somewhere along the way, I heard "red-green" called the "Christmas pair", and "yellow-black" the "Halloween pair" to keep straight which colors went together.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Hmmm, if you get a transmission problem when testing short cables, then that might be the problem. I should be able to mess with it next week.
No... it an anomaly with the tester I have. It just won't test short cables for crosstalk. Even factory made patch cords. Nothing to do with your problem.

-Hal

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
You would have found that out already when you tried a pre-made patch cable.

I think you are grasping at straws here...

-Hal
Well, the last problem was solved with a longer, pre-made patch cable. I suppose I can make a couple cables the same length as a premade one, but with different end connectors and see how it goes.

If I remember right with some shop equipment, it wasn't working with premade cables either. And then another day it was.

ABB had a problem with one product line of XIOs (I HATE that name. Makes me think of "eXamine If Open"). They had to put a ferrite core around some of the wiring inside.

I am not a fan of their TotalFlow products.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
The transmission test just looks for split pairs. The continuity test has no way to tell if you got the pairs right or you used a blue/w and an OR/w for a pair. It only looks to see if pin 1 is connected to pin 1, pin 2 is connected to pin 2, etc. No way to tell what colors the conductors are. I believe the transmission test puts a tone on the white/blue (for instance) and looks for the highest level on the blue/white. If the tone is highest on some other conductor it indicates a split pair. I suspect that short lengths of cable cause the tone to bleed over to other conductors causing an error.

-Hal