Illegal Business Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Charlie, I know that in NJ this wouldn't fly. They want an ink signature and raised seal or it's no go.

Who exactly is the "They"? The state, selected agencies of the state, specifically the AJH, the customer?

The reason I'm asking, is if it is the customer, they get what they want. If it is the state, that is per law/regulation - generally not subject to whim.

ice

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A project that I am working on in Delaware required me to obtain my PE license in that state. Their process includes the requirement that I purchase an embossing tool, and prove to them that I have in fact purchased the tool by sending them a letter with the raised seal applied to the letter. After that process was completed, that is after I was officially registered as a Delaware PE, I used an electronic version of the seal on the project drawings and specs. Go figure! ;):blink:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A project that I am working on in Delaware required me to obtain my PE license in that state. Their process includes the requirement that I purchase an embossing tool, and prove to them that I have in fact purchased the tool by sending them a letter with the raised seal applied to the letter. After that process was completed, that is after I was officially registered as a Delaware PE, I used an electronic version of the seal on the project drawings and specs. Go figure! ;):blink:

That sounds about right for the typical government agency.

An acquantaince was licensed by the state of IL for something (I think school janitor) that required him to have a bond in some nominal amount (like $10,000) that was only good for some stuff the license had nothing to do with (like retail consumer transactions).

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Who exactly is the "They"? The state, selected agencies of the state, specifically the AJH, the customer?

The reason I'm asking, is if it is the customer, they get what they want. If it is the state, that is per law/regulation - generally not subject to whim.

ice

The New Jersey Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors. See here for a bulletin on signing and sealing for architects and engineers in New Jersey. You'll note they specifically say a rubber stamp is not acceptable.

Last edited:

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
The New Jersey Board of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors. ... You'll note they specifically say a rubber stamp is not acceptable.

"... the licensed/registered professional of record must sign and seal each sheet of each copy of plans, the title page of the specifications, and any additional supporting information submitted. ..."​
Yes, that is what it says. There could easily be 100 pages and 50 copies going out to all the contractors (unless its 200 pages and 200 copies. Yikes! Makes one wonder if maybe there is an out for some of the copies.

ice

TimK

"... the licensed/registered professional of record must sign and seal each sheet of each copy of plans, the title page of the specifications, and any additional supporting information submitted. ..."​
Yes, that is what it says. There could easily be 100 pages and 50 copies going out to all the contractors (unless its 200 pages and 200 copies. Yikes! Makes one wonder if maybe there is an out for some of the copies.

I am not sure how that is supposed to work? ALMOST, every set I get off my computer, whether it is e-mail, Builders Exchange, or the multiple of other websites in which we receive or go find our prints have a stamp and a signature. Unless they allow copies of copies of course.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

ice

The signed and sealed sets are for permit submittal and usually only 2 sets are required; one the building department keeps and the other they stamp and they are the "official" construction set which go on site. You can either scan the construction set, or do as I do and print additional sets for my techs that are unsigned and are for convenience only.

Status
Not open for further replies.