Illegal contractors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
But the owner still has the responsibility for paying a second time to get the job done.
Corrective action would be on the owner. It would be important to determine whether the deficiencies were "immediately dangerous", as that can put the homeowner in a real bind. It's doubtful that the HO could recover from the unlicensed tradesman. If the tradesman had any financial deep pockets or insurance, he probably wouldn't be unlicensed.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Corrective action would be on the owner. It would be important to determine whether the deficiencies were "immediately dangerous", as that can put the homeowner in a real bind. It's doubtful that the HO could recover from the unlicensed tradesman. If the tradesman had any financial deep pockets or insurance, he probably wouldn't be unlicensed.
To this point the state should be more proactive in educating the public about unlicensed work.

Unfortunately, many people have gotten turned off to government and don't understand that the local building department is there to help. Many just see inspections as a nuisance. To be fair, I'm sure many building departments haven't help in this mistrust.

gadfly56

Occupation
To this point the state should be more proactive in educating the public about unlicensed work.

Unfortunately, many people have gotten turned off to government and don't understand that the local building department is there to help. Many just see inspections as a nuisance. To be fair, I'm sure many building departments haven't help in this mistrust.
I couldn't agree more. The problem is that so many people today are divorced from working with their hands that they can't even begin to understand why it's so important. For them, any education effort winds up in the TLDNR bin.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I agree, Unlicensed contractors is a major problem. In California they are now required to have Workman Compensation starting with C10 & C20,

Attachments

• CSLB - Industry Bulletin, New Laws, 2023.pdf
    211 KB · Views: 4

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Not legal, just defunded enforcement.

S.W.I.F.T. is the fly paper, there just isn't enough to put a dent in the infestation.

I agree, The CSLB is underfunded and doesn't have the resources. It's only when the consumer files a complaint that the magnifying glass is implemented.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Not legal, just defunded enforcement.
No, it is perfectly legal in CA for a B contractor (a GC) to contract for work involving two trades other than framing, and do all the work without subs, with the contractor's own employees, for whom there are zero certification requirements. 100% legal.

If you ask me, it's basically backwards. An electrical contractor (C-10) can get in trouble for hiring other than certified and registered electricians and apprentices, but a B is fine. Even though the C-10 is more qualified to supervise on-the-job electrical training. It encourages skirting the rules.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
No, it is perfectly legal in CA for a B contractor (a GC) to contract for work involving two trades other than framing, and do all the work without subs,
And, any missing questions GC may need answered are freely provided to any anonymous user visiting this forum.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Love how it says
WARNING: ONLY PROFESSIONAL LAW ENFORCEMENT PERSONNEL SHOULD ATTEMPT TO APPREHEND THESE INDIVIDUALS.
The first two look like they might have a stroke any day.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
No, it is perfectly legal in CA for a B contractor (a GC) to contract for work involving two trades other than framing, and do all the work without subs, with the contractor's own employees, for whom there are zero certification requirements. 100% legal.
Yeah I agree and in California "Job site cleanup" is a trade :ROFLMAO:
So I could be a general B in California and my specialties are Electrical and Cleanup, no C10 needed.
Heck throw in Solar and Low voltage as well.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Yeah I agree and in California "Job site cleanup" is a trade :ROFLMAO:
So I could be a general B in California and my specialties are Electrical and Cleanup, no C10 needed.
Heck throw in Solar and Low voltage as well.
It's an odd way of doing things. I do like have what specialties WA has because they're reasonable. But can you imagine needing years of experience in job site cleanup or needing to exclude it because you're not a general. Thats Crazy. People already complain that electricians leave drywall dust when changing outlets I vacuum it up but what if you weren't allowed to LOL.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I have been continuiosly in middle of contractors Who only have building type licenses Doing electrical
It is getting out of hand on the amount of illegal work I been experiencing
So what?
But a good question is how are you experiencing it?

This is to avoid hiring a fully insured and competent electrician
Maybe, maybe not.
Maybe they're tired of hiring "competent" electricians who aren't any better than Fred or Julio down at the liquor store

Something needs to be done
Just worry about yourself.
Be the best you can be, and set yourself apart.

Do you go around worrying about how many people are driving without a license or insurance?

gadfly56

Occupation
So what?
But a good question is how are you experiencing it?

Maybe, maybe not.
Maybe they're tired of hiring "competent" electricians who aren't any better than Fred or Julio down at the liquor store

Just worry about yourself.
Be the best you can be, and set yourself apart.

Do you go around worrying about how many people are driving without a license or insurance?
I would if that was a fair lick likely to put me out of business.

farmantenna

I have been continuiosly in middle of contractors Who only have building type licenses Doing electrical
It is getting out of hand on the amount of illegal work I been experiencing
This is to avoid hiring a fully insured and competent electrician Something needs to be done
Then contact state electrician licensing board or local electrical inspector.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not in NJ. The permit application very clearly delineates whether or not you are doing the work as a homeowner. An EC doing the work has to fill out the technical section and apply his pressure seal to it. That should make it easy to find out who's "renting" their license, as the pressure seal has your license number on it.
I'm not sure I agree with all you've said here. If a NJ EC fills out an electrical permit in NJ but doesn't fill in his info or seal the permit, the HO takes full responsibility for the electrical work if he/she files as a HO. All the electrical work will be inspected by the municipality and the HO has the onus to correct it if there are any violations (as far as the bldg. dept. is concerned). By the same token, if the EC then comes in and does the electrical work for the HO, and if there's a fire or injury caused by the electrical work the EC will get sued by the HO. The first thing the EC's insurance Co will ask is "did you file for a permit?" If not, he gets sued personally.

Contracting for electrical work with the public and performing electrical work without a license in NJ is a 4th degree felony and a $1000 fine FIRST OFFENSE. Subsequent offenses could result in jail time. That said, as Infinity pointed out, enforcement costs $$$. Unless a hack has performed such a flagrant offense that would require the DCA or the Licensing Board to get involved, many smaller jobs go unnoticed. Also, by the same token, if a NJ EC is continually called before the Licensing Board for performing poor or dangerous electrical work (based on complaints by the public), he/she will also get fined, and/or have their licenses suspended or revoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.