Illegal contractors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
They could always adopt Owner-Builder permits, which allows unlicensed contractor activity under owner liability, since municipality is indemnified.
I don't see making that work without changing other laws as well. First one is the "State Electrical Act" which is the portion of state laws that apply to the state electrical AHJ at one point says ...no person shall, for another, plan, lay out, or supervise the installation of wiring, apparatus, or equipment for electrical light, heat, power, and other purposes unless he or she is licensed by the board...

This wording makes it illegal for non licensed persons to install wiring even on projects that otherwise don't require permits/inspections.

There is other portions that allow a homeowner to do wiring installs in their primary place of residence but other properties owners basically can't do any wiring unless they are licensed.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Please elaborate how to check if my AFSC 462x0 qualifies for a civilian counterpart with the FAA?

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
"The Wheels of Justice Are Slow But Sure". The process of Escrow in real estate put all the government enforcement to shame.
In California the Escrow process requires the seller to reveal any deficiencies in the property. The "Catch 22" is when the room addition was completed without a permit. When the appraisal is completed, it does not include the room addition. It is as if the room addition vanished.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Excellent. All eligible AFSC's are shown there.

Mine was weapons mechanic, with no direct transferable skill to the FAA. However, my first year out of the Military found me hired by a local company as a test technician until they folded, and saw me off to college. Where there's a will, it seems there is a way to leverage experience, even if self-employment is the only institution that recognizes all types of experience as a going concern worthy of internal certification.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
While I agree with the quote, I can't say that it applies here. After looking into this, not all military MOS codes translate into air frame and power plant experience. It seems that back in 2012 there was an effort to help our service personnel transition their military experience into a civilian job. So the FAA has an entire list of MOS codes and what they would qualify you for.
The FAA might have a list of equivalencies. They might even have streamlined the process compared to what it was before. But if I understand correctly, his MOS does translate into an A&P license, (possibly just "A") but they still require you to take exams for converting military credentials to civilian, and pay for those exams -- several thousand dollars in all. He couldn't come up with the cash, and no banker would extend him a collateral-free loan for "buying" an intangible.

That's why I cited the "... need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing ..."

(secondhand information, ~five years old and not field-verified)

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
The FAA might have a list of equivalencies. They might even have streamlined the process compared to what it was before. But if I understand correctly, his MOS does translate into an A&P license, (possibly just "A") but they still require you to take exams for converting military credentials to civilian, and pay for those exams -- several thousand dollars in all. He couldn't come up with the cash, and no banker would extend him a collateral-free loan for "buying" an intangible.

That's why I cited the "... need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing ..."

(secondhand information, ~five years old and not field-verified)
I see. The military should offer to pay for that. If they pay for college they certainly can pay for career related exams and training.

drcampbell

Occupation
"The Wheels of Justice Are Slow But Sure". The process of Escrow in real estate put all the government enforcement to shame.
In California the Escrow process requires the seller to reveal any deficiencies in the property. The "Catch 22" is when the room addition was completed without a permit. When the appraisal is completed, it does not include the room addition. It is as if the room addition vanished.
My brother's entire house vanished. It was built before the county building department was established, so there's no construction permit on record, and no occupancy permit to indicate that construction was completed satisfactorily. He applied for a permit for a proposed addition, and the county building department denied it because, according to official records, the house doesn't exist. They're still negotiating his request to send a building inspector out to field-verify the existence of the house vis-a-vis the official records. (Alameda County, California)

He has not started work without a permit, but maybe his solution is to phone in an anonymous tip that somebody has. That might provoke them to send a building inspector out, and that might create an official record of the house's existence.

drcampbell

Occupation
I see. The military should offer to pay for that. If they pay for college they certainly can pay for career related exams and training.
Now you're using logic.

He's a civilian now, and has already turned down their offer to re-up. I can see why the military might hesitate to pay -- what's in it for them?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I don't see making that work without changing other laws as well.
Would you agree that unlicensed activity will continue for lack of enforcement, no matter how illegal.

The fact that municipalities require indemnity from owner builders does not mean the owner's unlicensed contractor is allowed, it just means municipalities learned how to function in the environment of lawless property owners.

If insurance-claim investigators find construction defects that void owner's insurance, no one can go after the municipality for issuing permits and passing inspections. This is how permits are done in a lawless regulatory environment. The property-owner lawyers & insurance battle it out.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
My brother's entire house vanished. It was built before the county building department was established, so there's no construction permit on record, and no occupancy permit to indicate that construction was completed satisfactorily. He applied for a permit for a proposed addition, and the county building department denied it because, according to official records, the house doesn't exist. They're still negotiating his request to send a building inspector out to field-verify the existence of the house vis-a-vis the official records. (Alameda County, California)

He has not started work without a permit, but maybe his solution is to phone in an anonymous tip that somebody has. That might provoke them to send a building inspector out, and that might create an official record of the house's existence.
Only in Cali! LOL! We would have a lot of houses vanish in our county! We have had permitting and inspections for a relatively short time.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
I have been continuiosly in middle of contractors Who only have building type licenses Doing electrical
It is getting out of hand on the amount of illegal work I been experiencing
This is to avoid hiring a fully insured and competent electrician Something needs to be done

But construction c10 license allows the contractor to do electrical work or have their employees work under their license?

Status
Not open for further replies.