Impact Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Does anyone else dislike impact drivers? I have one mainly because it was part of a set. I don't like the noise and the hammering interferes with my feeling of the torque on a screw. I broke 2 phillips bits in one day this week.

The one thing I like about it is I can drill good holes in brick or cinder block with it.

MAC702

An impact driver and a hammerdrill operate differently. You'll drill holes in block much better with the latter. You want linear impacts, not radial ones.

For most fasteners I deal with, I prefer the impact, or it doesn't matter. But there are some that are best without it, and better with a clutch. I have both handy, as well as a hammerdrill and rotary hammers in the truck.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I use an Milwaukee 3/8" impact driver just about every day. It's probably the one tool that I can't live without.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Left mine at home one time and thought I would lose my mind trying to work without it. I finally thought to use my drill. It wasn't the same but it beat using a screwdriver.
So yeah, you could say I love my impact!

MAC702

So do you all use the impact to tighten down device screws?

Screw that! Backstabs, Baby!

Just kidding.

If I'm doing a full shift of trim work, I usually use the clutch driver, and still finish the final torque with the screwdriver. But I'n usually just doing a couple at a time, so I just use the screwdriver only.

JFletcher

For drilling brick, you need a hammer drill or Roto Hammer. Impact drivers will work in a pinch but are really not the correct tool. As mentioned by another poster, the impact is radial to the fastener head, not in line (axially) with it.

To kill two birds with one stone, regarding your other post about fasteners in brick, I have never had to hang anything extremely heavy from it. If I had to do it, I would be more worried, around here, about the brick separating from the wall, or screw shear, than the fasteners pulling out of the brick.

I am sure there is some sort of quick setting epoxy one could use in a hole that is blown out or where the expanding anchor does not adequately grip.

JFletcher

So do you all use the impact to tighten down device screws?

I have a 12 volt Hitachi drill with adjustable clutch for installing devices and cover plates. When I did Telecom work, I had a 4 volt adjustable head Black & Decker for device plates. It's still had enough torque to warp or crack a cover plate if you weren't careful. It weighs a good pound less than a 18, 20, or 24 volt tool... And that is good.:)

ritelec

Had and impact screw drill with my Milwaukee set...... was ok, used it a few times. It went missing when the truck got stolen. Have a dewalt screw gun now, no impact. Haven't missed it.

Using the impact on device screws?? I've used my drill a few times, but I don't trust it.. I think it should be by hand.
Maybe if your just screwing down screws that aren't being used but.... by hand...........

OH and to ALL you back stabbing guys that DON't screw down the screws on devices.............. Man, that's just lazy.. .. or to cheap to take a few more seconds....
Sorry, that just aggravates the hell out of me.

I open boxes up in million dollar houses that are back stabbed with screws sticking out... just plain wrong.

ok...as you were

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Does anyone else dislike impact drivers? I have one mainly because it was part of a set. I don't like the noise and the hammering interferes with my feeling of the torque on a screw. I broke 2 phillips bits in one day this week.

The one thing I like about it is I can drill good holes in brick or cinder block with it.

It sounds like you haven't gotten a good feel for it yet. Just like anything, you'll get better with time.

You also have to understand, there are impact rated bits and there are just plain jane 1/4" drive bits. Most impacts are rated up there at 100 ft lbs or so of torque, I believe, but obviously that doesn't mean you can pour that much into a standard philips head screw. Use a little finesse...

Status
Not open for further replies.