incandescent bulbs, short life. Voltage problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingjon

A friend of mine mentioned that he was continually having light bulbs burn out in fixtures. I checked the overhead service drop, voltage at the panel, and effected locations. Nothing obvious and voltage in range of utility tolerance of 10%. Ideas?

charlie

Re: incandescent bulbs, short life. Voltage problem?

10% seems high to me, are you sure or is this "common knowledge"? We are held to plus or minus 5% of nominal with a few exceptions but never as much as 10%. :D

jimwalker

A few things are possible
1 he might have a loose neutral,check from meter to panel and all connections in panel
2 are there any neighbors on the same transformer with = problem
3 you checked voltage (digital ) but this might be changing thruout the day
4 ask poco to put the box on it for a few days.That would clear them.
5 find 130 volt bulbs or install the replacement florescent bulbs

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Try a traffic signal lamp, are rated at 8,000 hours @ 130V, the filaments have more supports, and they have a brass base. They are usually changed every year, even the used ones will last years.(Well OK the yellows are changed every three years)

jimwalker

While that is a cure i would try and find the real problem,how many other items might be getting a short life if there is indeed a problem.Is it possible he is just buying low quality 10 cent bulbs.
I was having a blinking problem and found my own neutrals needed tightened.This could be the start of a bad neutral,catch it early.POCO do have what i believe is plus or minus 10 volts.
Am thinking this allowed as low as 110 to high as 130 .I might be off on those numbers so check with local poco.
usually they stay near 120

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

In addition to some of the possibilities already mentioned if the light fixtures you are using have a globe or glass cover that covers the light bulb and basically contains the heat inside that compartment you may be reducing the life of the bulb due to overheating. I've come across this problem with fixtures in "common areas" of apartment buildings. A few things I've tried to reduce this problem were to drop down the globe portion slightly so that the compartment is not sealed and hot air will escape. If this is not possible install a dimmer switch and keep the bulb at a lower illumination level. Or, install compact fluorescent bulbs instead of standard "A" bulbs. Hope this helps.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jimwalker:
POCO do have what i believe is plus or minus 10 volts.
Am thinking this allowed as low as 110 to high as 130 .I might be off on those numbers so check with local poco.
Jim do you read the posts ahead of yours? :D

Five hours before your guessing at the voltages supplied by the POCO, Charlie, The Utility Guy told us what the POCO is general held to.

Originally posted by charlie:
10% seems high to me, are you sure or is this "common knowledge"? We are held to plus or minus 5% of nominal with a few exceptions but never as much as 10%. :D
Plus 5% of 120 is 126, if you are seeing 130 you should call the POCO.

This is from a POCO web site
Voltage Range
The American National Standard ANSI C84.1(1) establishes nominal voltage ratings and tolerances for 60-hertz (alternating current, AC) electric power systems above 100 volts and through 230, 000 volts. Voltage operating ranges are recommended for two voltage categories:

1) The service voltage, typically the point of connection between utility and customer.

2) The utilization voltage, typically the termination point to equipment.

The utilization voltage range takes into account a voltage drop within the end user?s distribution circuits.

ANSI C84.1 expects equipment to operate at service voltages between 95% to 105% with a utilization voltage range of 87% to 106% (120V to 600V)

Refer to ANSI C84.1 for additional operating voltage ranges.
Service Voltage allowable ranges.

114 to 126 for 120

198 to 218 for 208

228 to 252 for 240

263 to 291 for 277

456 to 504 for 480

Notice they use percentage of voltage, not a certain number of volts.

[ January 27, 2004, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

iwire

Staff member

Are you sure Charlie? or is someone playing fast and loose with the numbers.

As in plus or minus 5% is a 10% range.

If they truly use plus or minus 10% that is a 20% range.

That would provide you with as little as 108 and as high as 132 volts.

That puts it right at the edge of what UL lists equipment for, no room for voltage drop on the circuits in the building.

iwire

Staff member

I decided to check for myself and while the references are volts in place of percentages this page was geared for home owners.

It seems FLP prefers to stay within the plus or minus 5% standard but Florida law allows them to go plus or minus about 6.5%.

From FLP Web Site
What is a voltage fluctuation?
A voltage fluctuation occurs when there is a dip or spike in the electrical flow to your home. The state of Florida requires that utilities normally operate within a range of +/- 8 volts (112 - 128) from standard voltage (120), but FPL prefers to keep this range within +/-6 volts (114 - 126). Fluctuations of more than 6 volts may cause your lights to dim or brighten.

[ January 27, 2004, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

charlie

Yes, I am sure and the voltage variation is regulated here by the State of Indiana to within 5% in most places. Take a look at page 13 of the document. As a result of the statement, we try to hold to the range of 116 to 126 volts for 120 volts nominal. :D

jimwalker

Bob i wasn't far off.We ran into this not long ago.I too was shocked at there wide spead.And that's the limits there supposed to stay within.Nothing says they make that.At time i got that info it had been second hand .
Will say this about FP they seem to usually be no lower than 118 and seldom see more than 122
And by the way our power company in area i live (pasco) is FP not FPL and most of Tampa is on TECO and WACHULA
And BOB yes i had read the previous post,but just because they they have smaller limits doesn't mean we all do.

[ January 27, 2004, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

bill addiss

Here's some other opinions to the original question:

Bulbs that are loose in sockets may burn out quicker.
Are they subject to vibration? - where are the bulbs located?

as others have said replacing with 130v bulbs may be an easy fix.

Bill

jimwalker

Did run into one customer we did remodel in.Wanted to blame us because his bulbs in master bedroom fan kept burning out.Since we touched the house blame us even when we were not near the master bedroom.Real easy cure,replace that missing shade so fan isn't shaking.What added insult to this was this man was a gas inspector for the county.Would think he had some mechanical common since.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

LED lamps are good for perhaps 100,000 hours. I feel with in ten years LED screw A base lamps will be common. they are available now, we use them for traffic signals with great success.

catchtwentytwo

Bear in mind that a typical bulb probably has a 750 hour average life (which equates to 31.25 hours). One of the easiest ways to prolong the life is replace the switch with a toggle-style dimmer (or other type). That seems to deal with the thermal shock when power is first applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.