Inspector and AIC ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Have any commercial guys had problems with their temp poles that are set next to a trany. In Durham they turned down a job because the contractor installed a standard temp pole with 10kva breakers, The trany was 50,000 or so. Cost a bundle to correct

You can "play" with the Mike's Calculator you posted and find that it won't take too long a run of 100 amp cable to take that 50000 down to a more manageable 22k and those breakers should be readily available.

kwired

Electron manager
You can "play" with the Mike's Calculator you posted and find that it won't take too long a run of 100 amp cable to take that 50000 down to a more manageable 22k and those breakers should be readily available.
Correct, plus usually 10k breakers are series rated if the main would be 22k, and they often are.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
are you claiming that 240.86 prohibits an electrician from selecting a UL listed series rated combination from a manufacturer?

I agree that if you are making up your own series rated combination breaker system that it is well outside of the reach of anyone who does not have the expertise to make that work. But a UL listed system?

And I do not see anything in that provision that prohibits an electrician from using Ohm's law to determine what the SCC will be at the point where the CB is actually located.

No I am not 210.86(B) allowes a UL listed system to be selected by an electrician. 210.86(A) is contradictory to state laws allowing electricians to design their own work.
I think OR and CA state laws might supersede the requirement for an Prefessoinal Engineer's stamp as in 210.86(A) if the Electrician has the expertise she/he may perform Electrical Engineering work on there own projects without being a licensed Professional engineer in that state.

Status
Not open for further replies.