Inspector correct or not????

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Was on a co-workers job today where the inspector came because we were looking for a temp meter release for power on the building. Got a Tap box, CT cabinet, (2) metal troughs mounted outside. Out of the trough(service leaving the CT Cabinet) are parallel 3" PVC conduits with 4-500 MCM AL in them that pipe 30' and then enter a MB 600A 480V panelboard. Now the metal troughs are bonded with a 2/0 CU wire from the main panelboard inside. The bond wire is in a 1" pvc conduit. The inspector is citing 300.3(B) (2005NEC). Saying we need to have a ground wire in each and has to be with circuit conductors. I argued that its a "Bond" wire not a "Ground" wire and didn't need to be in the parallel conduits. Is he correct?????

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you're on the line side of the service disconnect the neutral is used for bonding of service equipment and raceways. An EGC within the PVC will be a parallel path for the neutral current.

chevyx92

Since you're on the line side of the service disconnect the neutral is used for bonding of service equipment and raceways. An EGC within the PVC will be a parallel path for the neutral current.

So in the trough if we tap with a split off the neutral and bond the trough, that will be acceptable? Which article is that?

raider1

Staff member
Ok but in my OP is the bond wire that is run incorrect? Or is it allowed? He says its not allowed that way.

I think what the inspector is refering to is 250.102(C).

That section says:
Where the service-entrance conductors are paralleled in two or more raceways or cables, the equipment bonding jumper, where routed with the raceways or cables, shall be run in parallel. The size of the bonding jumper for each raceway or cable shall be based on the size of the service-entrance conductors in each raceway or cable.

IMHO that section does not require the equipment bonding jumper to be installed with the service raceways.

Chris

chevyx92

I think what the inspector is refering to is 250.102(C).

That section says:

IMHO that section does not require the equipment bonding jumper to be installed with the service raceways.

Chris

Actually he's not he specifically showed me 300.3(B) and said it needs to be run with the circuit conductors. I argued my point but to no avail.

chevyx92

Are you creating a parallel path as Rob stated? Also look at section 250.102 (C).

No, and this sections says "where routed with the raceway or cables" shall be run in parallel. It doesn't say it must be routed. It says where routed with. So if a bond is run independtly then it should be ok, right??????

SEO

If the grounded conductor is not bonded at both ends you could bond per section 250.102(C). The code says the equipment bonding jumper where routed with the raceways or cables. It doesn't say within the cables or raceways.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Although at first glance 300.3(B) would cause you to pause, it would seem that 300.3(B)(2) (ref: bonding conductors)would allow your installation

chevyx92

If the grounded conductor is not bonded at both ends you could bond per section 250.102(C). The code says the equipment bonding jumper where routed with the raceways or cables. It doesn't say within the cables or raceways.

Exactly it doesn't say it must be in the raceway with circuit conductors. But he'e stating 300.3(B). How can I get around that and leave the bond wire that is installed in a seperate conduit without having to change it to what he wants which is to install a bond in each parallel pipe??

RUWired

Actually he's not he specifically showed me 300.3(B) and said it needs to be run with the circuit conductors. I argued my point but to no avail.

Ask your inspector how he would apply 300.3B with (2) parallel rigid 90's stubbed up at the wall or pole. IMO the wireways are the same situation. 250.102E allows a conductor to be routed outside the raceway.

Rick

SEO

with circuit conductors. .How can I get around that and leave the bond wire that is installed in a seperate conduit without having to change it to what he wants which is to install a bond in each parallel pipe??

He either changes his call and you leave it or if he doesn't you'll have to decide to appeal if you have an appeal process or install to satisfy him. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.