Inspector will only acept UL as a testing lab.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I have said that many times, but taking a new look at the Article 100 definition, I am not sure.

I thought it had something to do with the adoption of and amending a code, but the definition doesn't say that.
Maybe the code needs different definitions...one of the "adopting authority" and one for the inspecting authority and/or inspector.
The NFPA/NEC definition of AHJ is a statement of responsibility, not a free grant of some individual prerogative. See Also Section 90.4(B) which is also a statement of responsibility. The "authority" comes from a statute legally adopted by the appropriate jurisdiction.

I have appreciated FedOSHA's 29 CFR 1910.399 definitions of accepted, acceptable and approved. It clearly states who the AHJ is (Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health) and the basis of their approvals.

What has always irritated me is the same statute (or a superior one) that gives the AHJ the authority will also absolve it from any liability.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
What has always irritated me is the same statute (or a superior one) that gives the AHJ the authority will also absolve it from any liliability.
From total liability? I ask only ask because anyone can sue anyone for any reason.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
New Jersey has a list of seventeen NRTLs and ETL isn't one of them.
N.J.A.C. 5:23-3.6
I searched for that section and can't find any reference to NRTL's in any of the Google results. Can you point me to the actual list?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
From total liability? I ask only ask because anyone can sue anyone for any reason.
Pretty much. They have qualified immunity for any action taken in the execution of their assigned duties. Piercing that barrier is extremely hard and would require some action so far outside their scope of work that there wouldn't be an issue to be resolved by the trier of fact.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation

You can certainly sue but, absent an actual criminal act, the individual has no civil or criminal liability.

One of my favorite citations:

Los Angeles County Code:
  • 103.4 - Liability.

The fire code official, member of the fire code appeals review panel, officer or employee charged with the enforcement of this code, while acting for the jurisdiction, in good faith and without malice in the discharge of the duties required by this code or other pertinent law or ordinance, shall not thereby be rendered civilly or criminally liable personally, and is hereby relieved from all personal liability for any damage accruing to persons or property as a result of an act or by reason of an act or omission in the discharge of official duties.
EDIT ADD: The upside is that the County Code clearly defines who the AHJ is:
  • Sec. 81-1. - General

The Chief Electrical Inspector shall administer and enforce the provisions of this Code in a manner consistent with the intent thereof.

Last edited:

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I appreciate that. My biggest fear as an inspector was I missed something.
I was always told the city would have my back. However, I was never that sure.

Ron

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I appreciate that. My biggest fear as an inspector was I missed something.
I was always told the city would have my back. However, I was never that sure.

Ron
In a since, it's like a court judge - they can't be held liable for a bad decision unless it was a case of bribery or some actual criminal act. Of course, while some judges can be voted out of office, it is usually pretty difficult. This is a good thing - judges sometimes must make unpopular (not necessarily bad) decisions. In the OP's case though, the inspector is just plan ignorant and should be overruled.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Another Favorite.

SEC. 93.0315. NON-RESPONSIBILITY OF CITY.

Neither the City of Los Angeles, nor any department, board, commission, officer or employee thereof shall be held liable or responsible for any damage or injury caused by or resulting from the issuance of any permit issued, or any inspection or approval made under the provisions of this Code.

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The NFPA/NEC definition of AHJ is a statement of responsibility, not a free grant of some individual prerogative. See Also Section 90.4(B) which is also a statement of responsibility. The "authority" comes from a statute legally adopted by the appropriate jurisdiction.

I have appreciated FedOSHA's 29 CFR 1910.399 definitions of accepted, acceptable and approved. It clearly states who the AHJ is (Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health) and the basis of their approvals.

What has always irritated me is the same statute (or a superior one) that gives the AHJ the authority will also absolve it from any liabi

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
i found this article in consulting engineers' publication, i'm not quite comprehending it's outcome. almost that the only time to request an unusual product would be at the submittal process in plans review? but ETL's products are not unusual.
"Note that "approved" and "AHJ" also are defined in Article 100 of NFPA 70. Both terms are used in the definition of listed, so theoretically, this allows the AHJ to vet certain products or manufacturers. The place to do this is in the list of manufacturers or products in the specifications included within the contract documents. The specification is the only place this can be done, and if a nonstandard product is desired, use of this list is absolutely essential to allow use of the product."

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I'm in Mississippi, came down from TN which has The Dept of Insurance to oversee the inspectors, not that i have found in MS
Sorry, I thought I was responding to coffeebean, who noted that ETL is not on NJ's list of NRTLs, but that's because the company's name is Intertek, which is on the list.

So does Mississippi not publish its own list of NRTLs, or reference OSHA's list? I would be amazed if they have a list and Intertek is not on it.

Cheers, Wayne

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Never met an inspector that is also the AHJ.

Met plenty that think they are, but they were always sorely mistaken.
correct Only the Father above is the authority having jurisdiction in my world.
some people don't know the chain of command, my understanding is: Father, water company power company, they all think they are ahead of the water company. let em try for a day or 2.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
correct Only the Father above is the authority having jurisdiction in my world.
some people don't know the chain of command, my understanding is: Father, water company power company, they all think they are ahead of the water company. let em try for a day or 2.
Maybe don't mention that to your inspector. He might take it with a smile or immediately dismiss anything you say from that point.