Inspector will only acept UL as a testing lab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The boss isn't normally the actual AHJ either. The organization they work for is. Any jurisdiction rules normally need to be a consensus of multiple members in some fashion and not just a decision by one member.

Now and then something might come up and on the spot decision possibly gets made, if this were one of those cases then the boss might actually be the one that knows the real answer to the problem though. If he doesn't have an answer, in a well run organization he is probably talking to others before making a decision.

NEC defines NRTL, and that definition includes more than just UL. If an AHJ wants to only accept certain ones, they really should have documentation of that in their rules somewhere.
In Marion County Florida, the AHJ is a person. I invite him to speak at my apprenticeship class every year.

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
i've looked for a Mississippi list and can't find one MS is a little different from other states, they let the local municipalities handle their own rules and regulations all the way down to "the only state that has not adopted a statewide electrical code". with this case going on now as it's looking i'm going to have to find some UL listed light fixtures. I'm running out of time, apparently if i want to take it to the next Counsil meeting and apply to contest his decision i could but i only see it making him mad the he will start picking at everything he can to hold up the job. You know how Pres Trump would fold his arms in a meeting that's where I'm at with this man. but I thank everyone for their advice and wish everyone a wonderful day.
Captain Blue Beer out.

kwired

Electron manager
From total liability? I ask only ask because anyone can sue anyone for any reason.
You are correct in that anyone can sue anyone for any reason.

As the lawsuit progresses such details can limit what the defendant can be held liable for. There also could be cases where if gross negligence is proven that an individual could still be liable though the entity they represent isn't liable.

kwired

Electron manager
In Marion County Florida, the AHJ is a person. I invite him to speak at my apprenticeship class every year.
Is the AHJ actually a person or is there basically just one individual that represents the AHJ and personally conducts nearly all business of said AHJ?

Keep in mind I said "normally" and was referring to a typical legal inspection authority. Per NEC definition if no such legal authority exists or applies in a situation the AHJ per NEC could be the designer, owner or just about anyone.

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
i agree also anyone can sue anyone, after being in business 31 years i'm about to have my first suite against a customer. he paid his 60% rough in comes time to pay the final says sue me. but any time i have been in court whether plaintiff or defendant, I know somethings is not correct. if the building was done, and i didn't have several final inspections to have done. i might want to play but not on100,000 sq ft assisted living. AHJ can always find something, I'd never get out of there. and I'm not a suiter I'm always the one getting sued.

in this case the AHJ would be the city of Ridgeland and the inspector is interrupting art. 100 definition of listed as that the NRTL (testing lab) as that he has the say so of which one can be used (NRTL approved by the AHJ) AND HE SAYS IN 18 YEARS THE CITY HAS ALWAS LOOK FOR UL NO NEED TO CHANGE NOW!

kwired

Electron manager
i agree also anyone can sue anyone, after being in business 31 years i'm about to have my first suite against a customer. he paid his 60% rough in comes time to pay the final says sue me. but any time i have been in court whether plaintiff or defendant, I know somethings is not correct. if the building was done, and i didn't have several final inspections to have done. i might want to play but not on100,000 sq ft assisted living. AHJ can always find something, I'd never get out of there. and I'm not a suiter I'm always the one getting sued.

in this case the AHJ would be the city of Ridgeland and the inspector is interrupting art. 100 definition of listed as that the NRTL (testing lab) as that he has the say so of which one can be used (NRTL approved by the AHJ) AND HE SAYS IN 18 YEARS THE CITY HAS ALWAS LOOK FOR UL NO NEED TO CHANGE NOW!
I'd say the AHJ could be of some help you on this then. There certainly has to be items not provided by you that the AHJ can reject because they are listed by an NRTL other than UL. Doesn't directly help you but holds up their project since he ultimately won't allow them to have occupancy permit. First thing that comes to mind - HVAC. A lot of it is listed by Intertek but not UL.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Any inspector that rejects based on the listing agency has no idea of how the system works. All of the listing agencies list the product to the same product standard. It doesn't matter who does the listing and the testing as the product standard spells out the requirements.
The only possible issue is the rare case where a listing agency is not using the correct standard, but you rarely find that.
UL does write most of the product standards used for electrical equipment in the US, but all of the NRTLs list products and equipment to those standards.

kwired

Electron manager
Any inspector that rejects based on the listing agency has no idea of how the system works.
(y) as well
also if it is say a municipal inspector or other similar situation where one person kind of is the whole show, good luck, any appeal to his rulings sort of end up going through the city council who probably has no clue about how things work in this trade. Most other cases there is more members that are a part of the "AHJ" and if one member wants to set such a rule there are others out there to set that one straight, though simply complying without going up the chain of command leaves the one that was wrong thinking he did right.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
(y) as well
also if it is say a municipal inspector or other similar situation where one person kind of is the whole show, good luck, any appeal to his rulings sort of end up going through the city council who probably has no clue about how things work in this trade. Most other cases there is more members that are a part of the "AHJ" and if one member wants to set such a rule there are others out there to set that one straight, though simply complying without going up the chain of command leaves the one that was wrong thinking he did right.
I would contract the manufacturer and the listing agency to see if those legal departments are interested...an anti-trust restraint of trade suit might get their attention.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Is the AHJ actually a person or is there basically just one individual that represents the AHJ and personally conducts nearly all business of said AHJ?

Keep in mind I said "normally" and was referring to a typical legal inspection authority. Per NEC definition if no such legal authority exists or applies in a situation the AHJ per NEC could be the designer, owner or just about anyone.
AHJ is a function of his position, with his power granted by, I think he said, the county board of commissioners.

kwired

Electron manager
AHJ is a function of his position, with his power granted by, I think he said, the county board of commissioners.
There are situations where the AHJ is mostly a one man show, unfortunately those cases that one person is given authority to do what they want even if a majority of jurisdictions do things differently or interpret codes or other terminology differently. Who do you appeal to if you disagree in this situation? The board of commissioners that has no idea of how electrical codes and legitimate inspection departments really work?

I don't like the idea of these one person jurisdictions, needs to be more people involved to be fair. A municipality with one person that maybe is at least overseen to some extent by the state is at least somewhat better.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
I agree with previous post, get ETL to write a letter to AHJ and who he works for explaining NRTL,
I have had students in my classes say that AHJ rejected FM listing for hazardous locations, but UL does not list many haz location ptoducts

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
This is the mud hole the code panels fell into by every cycle requiring more and more things like 'zip ties' to be 'listed'.
There is no requirement at all as to what NRTL to use or even what listing standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.