Installing a hot tub indoors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a wholesaler of electrical supplies. One of my contractors had a code question, but doesn't use the internet much. I told him I would try to find out the answer for him. Here is the situation.

The room is 10'X13' and the hot tub is 7.5' X 7.5'. The room will open out to the back yard with a garage door. Insulated glass panels and painted steel frame. The electrical inspector is saying that the customer cannot have the garage door installed in the room because of the metal track. The track will be within 5 feet of the hot tub. Does anyone know why the garage door is being disallowed. I think that a "bonding grid" would solve the issue and be permitted under the NEC 2014. What does everyone think?

kwired

Electron manager
I am a wholesaler of electrical supplies. One of my contractors had a code question, but doesn't use the internet much. I told him I would try to find out the answer for him. Here is the situation.

The room is 10'X13' and the hot tub is 7.5' X 7.5'. The room will open out to the back yard with a garage door. Insulated glass panels and painted steel frame. The electrical inspector is saying that the customer cannot have the garage door installed in the room because of the metal track. The track will be within 5 feet of the hot tub. Does anyone know why the garage door is being disallowed. I think that a "bonding grid" would solve the issue and be permitted under the NEC 2014. What does everyone think?

This appears to be an indoor location so 680.40 which is the "general" section for spas and hot tubs as well as 680.43 "indoor installations" are the major places to start looking for requirements, of this application.

680.43 does not mention anything about the garage door in your installation. But does tell us the installation needs to comply with parts I and II of the article (680)

Parts I and II are the General section and the Permantly installed pools sections of 680. In part II we have 680.26 which is about equipotential bonding. This metallic door track/frame etc. needs to be bonded to any other metallic items within 5 feet of the pool (tub)as well as be bonded to the other tub components that are required to be bonded, and to the equipment grounding conductor supplying the tub.

There may or may not be more that applies here but I have pointed you to the road you need to follow.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It is not an issue of the metal track being allowed because it is allowed but it must be bonded. Now where is the motor in relation to the tub. The receptacle for the motor may be an issue. The code does not speak of vertical distance but says a receptacle must be 6' horizontally from the inside wall of the tub and not more than 10'.

I am not sure how an ahj would call the receptacle in the ceiling. IMO, that would be an issue

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
depending on what code cycle you are under you may not need a bonding grid. Many areas have adopted the TIA during the 2011 code and the 2014 NEC has adopted it. If the tub is on the floor and there is 28" or more from the floor to the top of the tub and this extends outward 30" then no equipotential bonding is necessary

kwired

Electron manager
It is not an issue of the metal track being allowed because it is allowed but it must be bonded. Now where is the motor in relation to the tub. The receptacle for the motor may be an issue. The code does not speak of vertical distance but says a receptacle must be 6' horizontally from the inside wall of the tub and not more than 10'.

I am not sure how an ahj would call the receptacle in the ceiling. IMO, that would be an issue
OP did not say whether this door is electrically operated or not, but receptacle location is something to consider if there is a receptacle for it. The "not more then 10 feet from the pool" requirement is for receptacle(s) required to be near the pool, you can place however many you want that are not serving the pool/pool area more then 10 feet away.

depending on what code cycle you are under you may not need a bonding grid. Many areas have adopted the TIA during the 2011 code and the 2014 NEC has adopted it. If the tub is on the floor and there is 28" or more from the floor to the top of the tub and this extends outward 30" then no equipotential bonding is necessary
The bonding grid not needed is the part covered by 680.26(B)(2) for perimeter surfaces. Everything else in 680.26 applies, metallic components, lighting shells, metal fittings, electrical equipment, fixed metal parts the pool water itself - all those items still need bonded together.

OP did mention 2014 NEC so the TIA is probably not an issue as the TIA wording is now included in the code.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
OP did not say whether this door is electrically operated or not
yes, so if it is he needs to address it the info is there , if not no biggie.

The "not more then 10 feet from the pool" requirement is for receptacle(s) required to be near the pool, you can place however many you want that are not serving the pool/pool area more then 10 feet away.

yes, this is true but I am not sure what significance that has here.

The bonding grid not needed is the part covered by 680.26(B)(2) for perimeter surfaces. Everything else in 680.26 applies, metallic components, lighting shells, metal fittings, electrical equipment, fixed metal parts the pool water itself - all those items still need bonded together.

Again this is true-- I did say equipotential bonding that was referred to by the OP--- he stated bonding grid

OP did mention 2014 NEC so the TIA is probably not an issue as the TIA wording is now included in the code.

Yes but he is not the electrician so I wasn't sure if he knew what cycle was used there

Status
Not open for further replies.