Interpretation of these Code requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

1) In 210.52, it says that switched receptacles used for the illumination requirement do not count toward the number of receptacles in a room. For example, in a living room or bedroom, builders will sometimes install a switched receptacle in lieu of a ceiling light. In that case, would it meet the requirement if a half-switched receptacle (or group) were to be wired? Like you would use 14-3 cable between a switch and several receptacles to make the top halves switched and the bottom ones always hot.

2) In 314.27, it says that boxes used to support luminaires (light fixtures) need to be able to support a fixture of up to 50 lbs. I highly doubt that the 98-cent blue plastic round nail-on boxes are capable of such. So does this mean that in all bedrooms, dining rooms, family rooms, etc. where a fixture is to be installed, we must use a ceiling-fan-rated box? They have provisions for mounting either ceiling fans (using 10-24 size screws) or for fixtures (using size 8-32 screws). I don't know whether standard metal octagon boxes are capable of supporting 50 lbs. either.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
1) In 210.52, it says that switched receptacles used for the illumination requirement do not count toward the number of receptacles in a room. For example, in a living room or bedroom, builders will sometimes install a switched receptacle in lieu of a ceiling light. In that case, would it meet the requirement if a half-switched receptacle (or group) were to be wired? Like you would use 14-3 cable between a switch and several receptacles to make the top halves switched and the bottom ones always hot.

2) In 314.27, it says that boxes used to support luminaires (light fixtures) need to be able to support a fixture of up to 50 lbs. I highly doubt that the 98-cent blue plastic round nail-on boxes are capable of such. So does this mean that in all bedrooms, dining rooms, family rooms, etc. where a fixture is to be installed, we must use a ceiling-fan-rated box? They have provisions for mounting either ceiling fans (using 10-24 size screws) or for fixtures (using size 8-32 screws). I don't know whether standard metal octagon boxes are capable of supporting 50 lbs. either.

I think it is good practice to install fan boxes because it gives the HO options down the road..

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
All standard ceiling boxes that are listed are listed to support a 50 pound light fixture. That included all listed boxes other than device boxes that are intended for use with wiring devices, not light fixtures.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree witrh Don- all ceiling boxes are listed for 50lbs even the cheap plastic ones. There are even plastic boxes listed for fans. When I was in the field I would block across with a 2x6 and use a standard octagon. If we hung a fan then the 3" screws would go outside the box into the blocking. Now we mostly use Fan boxes as my guys like it better

jumper

I think that in the 2014 nec, if a three wire is run to a ceiling box, it must be fan rated .

That was required in the 2011.

Where spare, separately switched, ungrounded conductors
are provided to a ceiling mounted outlet box, in a
location acceptable for a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan in
single or multi-family dwellings, the outlet box or outlet
box system shall be listed for sole support of a ceiling suspended
(paddle) fan.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

If you want to switch the entire receptacle then it doesn't count towards the 6'/12' spacing rule. You could use a 1/2 switched duplex to satisfy that rule or you would need two receptacles at the location one switched, one unswitched.

jeff48356

I think that in the 2014 nec, if a three wire is run to a ceiling box, it must be fan rated .

That's great! I totally agree with that one. But I just wish the converse was true as well -- all ceiling fan boxes must have two separate ungrounded conductors; pull-chain operation is no longer allowed.

Pull-chains always break, and they never last the life of the fan. Especially in kids' bedrooms, they break them quite often. I never install fans with chains intact anymore; I always cut them off with the fan in HI position and the light in ON position, and wire wall controls for each.

Status
Not open for further replies.