Irreversible Crimp Connectors 250.64 (C) (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
BUMP....

I delayed the posting of the previous emails until I was able to discuss it with the other moderators.

Sorry for the delay.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Update

Update

Hi Louis,

After I wrote this response, there has been some additional discussion at UL regarding the NEC CMP-5 position and 2008 NEC revision to Section 250.8. I was in error regarding UL's position on applications using NEC editions earlier than the 2008 edition.

To clarify, UL's position is that all Listed pressure connectors are suitable for 250.8 applications, regardless of whether Listed to the ZMVV (Wire Connectors) or KDER (Grounding and Bonding Equipment) UL product categories, and regardless of whether the jurisdiction is using the 2008 or earlier editions of the NEC.

Please contact me if you would like to discuss further.

Rich

Rich Berman
Sr. Staff Engineer
Regulatory Services
Underwriters Laboratories
333 Pfingsten Road
Northbrook, IL 60062

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see how the e-mails address the issue of the original post...that is crimp connectors for conductors larger than #10. The white book says listed crimp connectors for #10 and smaller can be used with either solid or stranded, but for larger conductors they are only for use with stranded unless marked otherwise on the package or instructions.
Don

Esthy

I want to thank Chris Kennedy for the help he provided me with the posts on Irreversible Crimp Connector. But I also think I own some explanation to the forumers. I know that the only splice needed of ICC (irreversible crimp connectors) is the GEC... As a personal choice, I also use ICC - not split bolts - to splice bonding jumpers. I don't remember where I purchased the ICCs for solid wire, maybe I mistakenly saw that they were for solid. I use the Ideal Crimp Connector Tool #83-005. Few days ago, my wife found some ICC at the supply house, the counter person told her that they can be use for either one, stranded or solid. The ICC in not market as stranded, as are the ones in my possesion. But, at the IAEI monthly meeting, they referred to a section in the UL 2007 white book, wire connectors (ZMVV, page 371, top paragraph) that say: Unless clearly marked "Solid", "Stranded" or "STR", conductors in the range 30-10 AWG are for both solid and stranded ..... BUT .... for 8 AWG and larger they are for stranded wire only, but they are referring (page 370) to "between current-carrying parts"

don resq capt 19 clarification regarding UL and T&B posts: I asked T&B if I can use their ICC TEE4 for grounding application using solid 4 and 6 AWG, and .... that is where everything started. According to them, their ICC is listed only for power application and they don't advice to use them in grounding application; but later on, they wrote back and told me that they were going to list them for grounding and sent some samples. I meet with UL and by the posts you know the rest. But UL now say, that the pressure connectors (ICC) can be use either way ZMVV or KDER. Okay, this is good .... But where can I find ICC for solid? I am using the ones I purchased (ASCAT - green from NSI) AHJ said he will approve that, but this is not the case or starting using stranded 4 AWG...IMO stranded needs protection, does it?

This is why I afraid to post, many times I try to pass information and it ended in problems.

Enclosed links from T&B in case you don't have AT&T or Southbell.

http://www.dreade.org/Documents/GM-8103 Multi-Tap_r2.pdf

http://www.dreade.org/Documents/GM-1211_LR.pdf

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Esthy said:
For the last 2 months I have been correspondence with T & B and UL. I received 2 emails regarding the matter, but I am unable to post then and I think they are important . Please if someone, maybe Tom Baker or iwire (because they are moderators they can go over red tape) sent me his email address, not the one on the forum, I can forward the emails to them to post.
Try selecting the email text, Ctrl C to copy, and paste it into a message here on the forum with Ctrl V

Status
Not open for further replies.