Is a Junction Box a Raceway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For reasons I'm not going to describe, we ended up with a generator supplied circuit that comprises of 150' of (3) 600 XHHW kcmil/phase in conduit, transitions to (3) 4/0 RHW-2 cables inside a junction box for a length of about 6ft then transitions back to another 200' of (3) 600 kcmil/phase in conduit. It's protected by a 1200A breaker.

One interpretation is that the junction box is not considered a raceway and the free air rating of 405A is applicable for each of the 90C RHW-2 with its 90C rated terminations.
Others do consider the junction box a raceway, with each RHW-2 only good for 260A.

A third opinion is that the raceway vs not a raceway question is irrelevant based on the 310.A.2 exception for the 6ft of RHW-2.

I'm curious where the experience here falls with this question.

Thank you!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
One interpretation is that the junction box is not considered a raceway and the free air rating of 405A is applicable for each of the 90C RHW-2 with its 90C rated terminations.

The conductors are not in free air if they are in an enclosure, unless there is sufficient ventilation. I know of no way to calculate the air flow requirements, so I would just use the 'in raceway" rating.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The conductors are not in free air if they are in an enclosure, unless there is sufficient ventilation. I know of no way to calculate the air flow requirements, so I would just use the 'in raceway" rating.

:thumbsup:

Roger

jap

Occupation
Electrician
How is this run allowed to be protected by a 1200 amp breaker with the 4/0 RHW-2 in place?

JAP>

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
How is this run allowed to be protected by a 1200 amp breaker with the 4/0 RHW-2 in place?
One interpretation cited by the OP used the 90C rating of 405 amps. Three of those would have an ampacity over1200. But I agree with Jim that the free air rating would not apply.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks.

I overlooked that, and, I also agree with you and Jim.

JAP>

Thank you all for the responses. I thought I was losing my mind....

I would add that a junction box is not a raceway.

Trying to think why this matters now based on the info provided by all above.

Is this why we don’t necessarily derate for a parallel run with 2 conductors per phase that could have 6 conductors in a junction box but only 3 in each raceway?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thank you all for the responses. I thought I was losing my mind....

Trying to think why this matters now based on the info provided by all above.

Is this why we don’t necessarily derate for a parallel run with 2 conductors per phase that could have 6 conductors in a junction box but only 3 in each raceway?

Yes, that would be one example of why it's not a raceway. Another would be 24" nipple>junction box>24" nipple >junction box, etc, no derating required.

Status
Not open for further replies.