Is modifying a generator neutral connection a code violation if the manufacturer doesn't recommend it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
But what specific article in the NEC states that the portable generator cannot be rewired? Can I build my own generator and plug it into the inlet or is something in the NEC prohibiting me from doing so?
I see your point. But it’s kinda like saying “what if I built my own circuit breaker”. You would need the circuit breaker listed and tested. Then you bring up another question, does your generator you built have to be listed in order to use it? If yes, then the generator you built would be against code if you don’t have it tested and listed

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I see your point. Then you bring up another question, does your generator you built have to be listed in order to use it? If yes, then the generator you built would be against code if you don’t have it tested and listed
I would ask what in the NEC would require a home built generator to be listed when used for portable power? The NEC would have to say that a portable generator needs to be listed. There is a nameplate listing requirement for portable generators above 15 kw in the 2020 NEC but I'm assuming that this discussion we're referring to a smaller than 15 kw generator.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If it's part of a permanent installation it violates the NEC. If it's only being used as a portable generator it's not subject to the NEC.
Not very many portable generators are listed so 110.3(B) does not apply to the ones that are not listed.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I would ask what in the NEC would require a home built generator to be listed when used for portable power? The NEC would have to say that a portable generator needs to be listed. There is a nameplate listing requirement for portable generators above 15 kw in the 2020 NEC but I'm assuming that this discussion we're referring to a smaller than 15 kw generator.
I was talking about a portable generator that is 17500W lol. And I’m following the latest NYCEC

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
But what if the portable generator is 15kw or more like infinity just said
While the code does say that, the code has no authority over portable generators. The code authority is only over how such a generator is connected to a premises wiring system.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
While the code does say that, the code has no authority over portable generators. The code authority is only over how such a generator is connected to a premises wiring system.
but where does it say in the code it has no authority over portable generators?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
but where does it say in the code it has no authority over portable generators?
The code only has authority over installed electrical equipment....portable generators are not installed. A lot of what is in Article 422 is actually outside the scope of the code.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
The code only has authority over installed electrical equipment....portable generators are not installed. A lot of what is in Article 422 is actually outside the scope of the code.
fair enough, however is there anything other than the NEC that has authority over portable generators?

retirede

Yes, that is the question. Is it code compliant if you modify the neutral of the generator if the manufacturer says not to do it?

Does it say it’s “not recommended” (as you stated originally), or “do not do it” (what you’re saying now)?

Big difference, imo.

R777V

Occupation
Facilities Engineer/Industrial Electrician
The generator is the only source of power, so why unbond it, I understand Mike Holt frowns on Installing a ground rod bonded to a generator. Without a utility source what is wrong with the generator being bonded to itself? It probably would be bonded to the house system through the Gas or Propane piping, obviously Diesel and Gasoline powered not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
The generator is the only source of power, so why unbond it, I understand Mike Holt frowns on Installing a ground rod bonded to a generator. Without a utility source what is wrong with the generator being bonded to itself? It probably would be bonded to the house system through the Gas or Propane piping, obviously Diesel and Gasoline powered not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We’re not talking about bonding the ground rod to a generator though. We’re talking about unbonding the neutral to the frame of the generator so that we can use it as a non-separately derived system.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Does it say it’s “not recommended” (as you stated originally), or “do not do it” (what you’re saying now)?

Big difference, imo.
I see your point, but I’d like to know worst case scenario “do not do it”

Status
Not open for further replies.