Is there a ground rod clamp with a threaded stud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0x1

I have an application where we need to land a single hole lug on a ground rod, but I can't find a ground rod clamp with a threaded stud. Anyone have any ideas?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Todd you need to be more specific in what you are trying to do. You have a ground rod-- what size is the grounding electrode conductor or are you trying to land something else on the rod?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't think those will work. I was looking for a threaded stud to land a lug on that is not part of the clamping mechanism. Could I use one of those split bolts with the threaded stud, and put the ground rod where the wire would normally go in the split bolt?
IMO it would need to be listed for use in that fashion on the rod.
41b25Bg0cyL.jpg

Todd0x1

Todd you need to be more specific in what you are trying to do. You have a ground rod-- what size is the grounding electrode conductor or are you trying to land something else on the rod?

Need to land a lug with a 1/2" hole onto the ground rod.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Need to land a lug with a 1/2" hole onto the ground rod.
I don't think there is any such product on the market. That would be a very, very rare installation, and there is no real market for such a connector.
Why can't you directly connect the conductor to the rod using one of the many types of mechanical clamps designed for rod to conductor connections?

Todd0x1

I don't think there is any such product on the market. That would be a very, very rare installation, and there is no real market for such a connector.
Why can't you directly connect the conductor to the rod using one of the many types of mechanical clamps designed for rod to conductor connections?

Its for a portable application, usually we just put a camlock pigtail under a normal ground rod clamp but for this one they want a camlock bussbar connector attached directly to the rod with no cable.

Part of me wants to thread the top of the rod to 1/2" and use a pair of nuts/washers on it. Probably not a listed application :D. (ETA- don't even have to make it yourself.)

(Platt has a lot of clamps, but I didn't see any that would take a lug that large and land on a rod; there are a bunch that go up to #2 bare.)

Todd0x1

That would be a good solution, utilizing the ground Rod coupling you could then just thread a bolt into the other end connecting your lug directly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting idea but won't work for this application. The rod is existing, and even with this thing if the cable plugged into the camlock was pulled on it could unscrew the bolt.

Ended up buying the clamp tom baker suggested, using a short section of bare 2/0 into it with a lug crimped on that and the camlock bolted to the lug.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Can't you use a water line grounding clamp, then attach a single lug to the hub where the 1/4-20 screw is? Maybe replace the Philips head screw with a hex head so you can grip it better?

I'm sure some water line clamps are listed for use on a ground rod

Status
Not open for further replies.