Is this a classified area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Like Don back in post #6, I'm wondering why there is a containment system at all for this type of tank. That is the whole selling point that you don't need one.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
No idea what that means.
Rancho Cucamonga, California can get hotter than 100F (not very often though). An Emergency Vent release could mean a volatile vapor. Again not likely, but that's more or less the definition of a Division 2 location. (Possibility not probability)

Too many think classifying is saying, "Oh, oh, oh, I know - it's diesel - I don't have to classify that." The truth is, if diesel were the only thing I knew about it, I probably wouldn't classify it either. BUT, there's more to it than that. In this case, the manufacture claims the product is listed. (Page 10). That puts the installation under Section 110.3(B). The instruction manual gives some fairly definite electrical installation requirements in Section K, Pages 31 & 32.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Like Don back in post #6, I'm wondering why there is a containment system at all for this type of tank. That is the whole selling point that you don't need one.
Good question, but not relevant to the OP since it's already installed.

oldsparky52

Well - why would it release? Consider it in the context of the installation's location. (Rancho Cucamonga, California)
It releases if the contents expand too fast (like in a fire) for the normal vent to handle.

I don't understand the Rancho reference. (well I do now that I read your follow up post)

Bwas

Just popping in to say that nobody should ever trust an equipment manufacturer to have equipment properly classified. I run in to situations all the time where equipment is specifically designed to operate in a classified location where the manufacturer says "Oh we've never used an explosion proof motor/valve for this before."

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
That's one.
If the sign had said "flammable" I'd agree. "Combustible" suggests that it would not be classified.

As far as the XP switch, if I were manufacturing above ground tanks for fuel, I'd make them all to the most stringent standard. That way, if some numpty decides later on he'd rather fill the tank with gasoline, I wouldn't be on the hook for any liability. Well, less likely to be on the hook.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If the sign had said "flammable" I'd agree. "Combustible" suggests that it would not be classified.

As far as the XP switch, if I were manufacturing above ground tanks for fuel, I'd make them all to the most stringent standard. That way, if some numpty decides later on he'd rather fill the tank with gasoline, I wouldn't be on the hook for any liability. Well, less likely to be on the hook.
That doesn't really protect you from anything. On the other hand if you have a single design that you sell often you can make it cost less overall than having multiple designs.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I already linked to the manufacturer's owner's manual in Post #27 AND cited both NEC Section 110.3(B) and the manual's Section K, Pages 31 & 32, AND stated their relevance in Post #42. I am going to suggest that unless you have reviewed and understand them all other speculations are irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.