Is this a classified area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

u791262

flammable liquids have a flashpoint below 37.8°C (100°F). Combustible liquids have a flashpoint at or above 37.8°C (100°F) and below 93.3°C (200°F).

oldsparky52

I was only required to install x-proof seals on diesel installations when a gasoline classification affected it. I did hear that the state of PA requires seals for diesel installations per the Fire Marshal.

u791262

It should be the Area Classification together with the appropriate code article/section in Chapter 5 that would dictate the use of conduit seals in my opinion.

paulengr

I was only required to install x-proof seals on diesel installations when a gasoline classification affected it. I did hear that the state of PA requires seals for diesel installations per the Fire Marshal.

Diesel does not create fumes that you have to worry about. Throw a match in a bucket of gasoline and it ignites. Do the same in diesel and it extinguishes the match. Until you spray diesel into a mist, you can’t ignite it easily. And it’s a “wet” hydrocarbon...no static buildup.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Out of curiosity, I did what I would have normally done if I had been the PE in Responsible Charge of the project; I downloaded the manufacturer's owner's manual. It has the basis for answering the first question I asked in Post #10.

BTW the third clue in the photo is the vent. The clue outside the photo is the OP's location, assuming that is where the tank will be installed.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Generic specs or general ignorance can cause a vent to be installed in a certain way, so I'm not sure what "clue" you are referring to (especially when the vent cap is not visible in the picture).
Really? There's a sign right next to it. (You may need to expand the photo)

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Sorry, I was watching a YouTube video. I may watch another but what would you like me to share?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Well - why would it release? Consider it in the context of the installation's location. (Rancho Cucamonga, California)

Status
Not open for further replies.