Is this a classified area?

u791262

flammable liquids have a flashpoint below 37.8°C (100°F). Combustible liquids have a flashpoint at or above 37.8°C (100°F) and below 93.3°C (200°F).

oldsparky52

I was only required to install x-proof seals on diesel installations when a gasoline classification affected it. I did hear that the state of PA requires seals for diesel installations per the Fire Marshal.

u791262

It should be the Area Classification together with the appropriate code article/section in Chapter 5 that would dictate the use of conduit seals in my opinion.

paulengr

I was only required to install x-proof seals on diesel installations when a gasoline classification affected it. I did hear that the state of PA requires seals for diesel installations per the Fire Marshal.
Diesel does not create fumes that you have to worry about. Throw a match in a bucket of gasoline and it ignites. Do the same in diesel and it extinguishes the match. Until you spray diesel into a mist, you can’t ignite it easily. And it’s a “wet” hydrocarbon...no static buildup.

rbalex

Staff member
Out of curiosity, I did what I would have normally done if I had been the PE in Responsible Charge of the project; I downloaded the manufacturer's owner's manual. It has the basis for answering the first question I asked in Post #10.

BTW the third clue in the photo is the vent. The clue outside the photo is the OP's location, assuming that is where the tank will be installed.