Is this compliant? (Chase nipples)

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I guess my main curiosity would be the point of having access to it? It’s a completed raceway with no access door or way to dissemble it. Code requires it to be completely installed before installing conductors in it. So having access to it would provide no benefit.
I look at these fitting like 90° FMC or LFMC connectors which are installed after the conductors are pulled. Pulling condcutors through such a short radius when using these for a complete raceway could damage the conductors. Like I said prior I think that the concealed part is open to debate. In your application I don't see conductor damage as an issue.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I look at these fitting like 90° FMC or LFMC connectors which are installed after the conductors are pulled.
But since RMC isn't flexible, if you install the short radius elbow after the conductors are pulled, you'd also need to be able to shift the conduit run or the enclosure in order to thread it on. And how do you avoid twisting up the conductors as you thread the elbow on over the conductors?

If you pull your conductors towards the short radius elbow at the enclosure, only the last few feet of conductor has to pass through the elbow itself. Can that be done in a way that won't damage the conductors?

Cheers, Wayne

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I appreciate the discussion.

These jobs are too small for me to go back to be there during the inspection, but I doubt the inspector ever even opens the panel or this junction box. However, the last thing I want is for him to fail me for this reason and me have to do it all over again. Maybe I should stick with just using a short piece of cable.

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But since RMC isn't flexible, if you install the short radius elbow after the conductors are pulled, you'd also need to be able to shift the conduit run or the enclosure in order to thread it on. And how do you avoid twisting up the conductors as you thread the elbow on over the conductors?

If you pull your conductors towards the short radius elbow at the enclosure, only the last few feet of conductor has to pass through the elbow itself. Can that be done in a way that won't damage the conductors?

Cheers, Wayne
Just for sake of conversation, wouldn’t that be prohibited by code? The raceway has to be complete before you install the conductors.

300.18 Raceway Installations.
(A) Complete Runs. Raceways, other than busways or ex-posed raceways having hinged or removable covers, shall be installed complete between outlet, junction, or splicing points prior to the installation of conductors.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Just for sake of conversation, wouldn’t that be prohibited by code? The raceway has to be complete before you install the conductors.

(A) Complete Runs. Raceways, other than busways or ex-posed raceways having hinged or removable covers, shall be installed complete between outlet, junction, or splicing points prior to the installation of conductors.
I've never understood, or liked this rule. It's hard as heck to pull conductors through some raceways, such as LFNMC, and some cases PVC. Many times I pulled conductors through a long run of PVC but left off the connectors/fittings, such as 90's, then put them on after the pull is done. I don't see any reason that is unsafe. There could be damage pulling hard through 90's though.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It says it has to be completed prior to the conductor installation, it doesn't say anything about taking it apart to get the conductors in. Certainly you're not pulling 750's through a 4" FMC 90° connector. I think that the goal of that section is to not pull in the conductors and then have to slide large sections of raceway over them where they could be damaged.

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It says it has to be completed prior to the conductor installation, it doesn't say anything about taking it apart to get the conductors in. Certainly you're not pulling 750's through a 4" FMC 90° connector. I think that the goal of that section is to not pull in the conductors and then have to slide large sections of raceway over them where they could be damaged.
Wait, what? If you take it apart then it’s not complete.

You even say at the end of your post that the point is not to install sections of raceway over the conductors, yet that’s perfectly compliant as long as the raceway was once put together before taking it apart?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

You even say at the end of your post that the point is not to install sections of raceway over the conductors, yet that’s perfectly compliant as long as the raceway was once put together before taking it apart?
Like I said, it makes no sense. Not necessarily what infinity said, but the whole rule.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

What I'm saying is that there are instances where completed raceways will need to be disassembled to actually install the condcutors.

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What I'm saying is that there are instances where completed raceways will need to be disassembled to actually install the condcutors.
But 300.18 won't allow that. I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is. There is no exception saying that you can complete a raceway and then disassemble it to install conductors.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
But 300.18 won't allow that. I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is. There is no exception saying that you can complete a raceway and then disassemble it to install conductors.
Re-read post #26 and tell me how you would do that without removing the 90?

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re-read post #26 and tell me how you would do that without removing the 90?
This is one of the thousand contentions I’ve had with the code. But still, the code is the code, correct? So the answer is that you can't do an installation like you proposed in post #26, you have to come up with another way to install it.

Tell me how I’m supposed to install a EV charger outside on a 50 amp circuit when the manufacturer says not to install it on a GFCI breaker and when doing so causes nuisance trips every night?

We can’t use common sense, reason, or logic with code, we just have to follow the code, no?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We can’t use common sense, reason, or logic with code, we just have to follow the code, no?
No the opposite is true. Logic will dictate in the example I provided that you cannot use the listed raceway and listed fitting without taking some portion of the completed raceway apart.

EeeeVeee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No the opposite is true. Logic will dictate in the example I provided that you cannot use the listed raceway and listed fitting without taking some portion of the completed raceway apart.
As I said, logic doesn’t matter. You know that, and I’m sure you’ve encountered hundreds of examples over the years. The code is the code, and what you proposed is prohibited by code.

If you can’t install the conductors without taking the raceway apart, then you can’t install the conductors at all. at least according to code.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
FWIW, "prior to" does not equal "at the time of". "Prior to" includes the possibility the condition occurred, then the condition no longer holds at some later time that something else happens.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.