is this correct? (table 220.55)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I disagree.

Only a single range or combination of wall & counter top units are treated as one range according to note #4. The part in red says the nameplate is the branch circuit load. There is no demand factor for a branch circuit for this, only a feeder/service load demand factor. That's the way I read it anyway.
My bad, you are correct. When I posted I was thinking crtemp was going to connect both cooktop and wall oven on same circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the instructions say a 40A circuit, you cannot use a lesser-rated circuit unless there is a minimum circuit rating* on the nameplate which is less (conflicting info allows user discretion?).

*Not just an ampere rating.

The instruction are not always part of the listing. If the unit say minimum circuit then that is what I would use. Certainly if the unit states 40 amp overcurrent protective device then a #8 would be necessary on a 40 amp overcurrent protective device. I guess I am not following you. I thought we basically said the same thing.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The instruction are not always part of the listing.
Do you know how to determine whether or not instructions are included in the listing?

If the unit say minimum circuit then that is what I would use.
Exactly... but it can't just be an ampere rating. It has to say or otherwise indicate it is a minimum circuit ampacity rating.

Certainly if the unit states 40 amp overcurrent protective device then a #8 would be necessary on a 40 amp overcurrent protective device. I guess I am not following you. I thought we basically said the same thing.
We basically are.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Do you know how to determine whether or not instructions are included in the listing?

No but I would not use the instruction manual.... I have found too many of them to be written to cover their butts or because they don't know the rules of the NEC. I go by the unit itself.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No but I would not use the instruction manual.... I have found too many of them to be written to cover their butts or because they don't know the rules of the NEC. I go by the unit itself.
Do matter much to me, either way... but inspector, if he actually bothers to read instructions, could cite 110.3(B) if it indicates otherwise... so what leg would you be standing on: right or left? :D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Do matter much to me, either way... but inspector, if he actually bothers to read instructions, could cite 110.3(B) if it indicates otherwise... so what leg would you be standing on: right or left? :D

I have never seen an inspector read the instructions- perhaps if it were an unusual unit they might but I have never had one ask.

I don't want to give the impression that I don't try and follow code. I do but there are certain aspects of instructions that make no sense. I have heard of hydromassage tubs requiring a bond back to the main panel. Never did that but I must say I never looked at the instructions either.

In truth I don't believe I ever looked at instructions for ranges or hydromassage tubs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.