Is this Dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Are you guys saying the disconnect on the left should have the conductors reversed, meaning top goes where bottom ones are and vice-versa? Or the cabinet flipped around?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Are you guys saying the disconnect on the left should have the conductors reversed, meaning top goes where bottom ones are and vice-versa? Or the cabinet flipped around?
Yes, that's the idea, although I don't think you could simply flip the cabinet. Isn't there a requirement that "ON" be "up"?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
It seems silly to me that the next size up rule does not apply here. The difference in ampacity vs short circuit protection by the primary fuses would seem to make little difference, and the secondary fuses provide just fine overload protection.

I am far more concerned about the line vs load side disconnect issue.

-Jon

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
So, curious, would you replace the conductors or splice them in that disconnect to extend them to the correct lugs? I think I would splice them (does that make me a hack?).

I would probably look at replacing the fusible switch with a breaker, and provide properly sized conductors from the transformer secondary.

oldsparky52

I would probably look at replacing the fusible switch with a breaker, and provide properly sized conductors from the transformer secondary.
Yea, I did forget the conductors were too small. Well, I still think the most cost effective way to do it would be to use that switch, splice the load conductors so they reach the proper lugs and install (like you said) properly sized conductors from the transformer secondary.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Damn, I could have sworn that the 'ambient temperature correction factors' went below 21C. But the tables only get us to 399A for 500kcmil

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.