Isolated feed through terminal on light switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

realolman

We recently had a couple guys get in an argument because the one guy wanted a single pole Hubble press switch and the othe guy got him what looked to be a three way switch. Turned out there is an"isolated feed through terminal" on the switch. What is that all about? I thought maybe it had something to do with new requirement for neutral in box but I can't see manufacturer going to any trouble for that.
So what is it for?

realolman

hubbell HBL 1281 it has three screw terminals that look like a three way switch, but only two are connected to the switch ( a single pole ) and the other isn't connected to anything and has a small tag that says "isolated feed through".

I can't figure out what its really for, or why the manufacturer makes it that way. they don't explain it or show it on the pictures either ... plus you couldn't connect the grounded conductor with anything that lost connection by removing the device .... I think

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/section-v-datasheet.asp?PN=HBL1281&FAM=Marine&P=16301

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
hubbell HBL 1281 it has three screw terminals that look like a three way switch, but only two are connected to the switch ( a single pole ) and the other isn't connected to anything and has a small tag that says "isolated feed through".

I can't figure out what its really for, or why the manufacturer makes it that way. they don't explain it or show it on the pictures either ... plus you couldn't connect the grounded conductor with anything that lost connection by removing the device .... I think

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/section-v-datasheet.asp?PN=HBL1281&FAM=Marine&P=16301

Just a guess: Two wires into the box, one switched and one unswitched, two wires out, same thing. The isolated feed through gives you a place to terminate both unswitched wires instead of using a wire nut? Now, why you would want to do that would be another question.
Note that it is not a light switch, it is an AC switch, and they also make a similarly named switch that is DPST.

Status
Not open for further replies.