Job I lost. Tuesday's Photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Last year I didn't get a job for a service change on an Arrow Hart Murray panel. I was too expensive.

Got a call today saying the main breaker is missing on a panel. (Not realizing I had been to this house before.) Just went by the place and saw what the cheaper guy did.

The other guy installed a 20 circuit homeline panel's guts (I bet it's only rated for 100/125 amps) into the old can of the Murray panel.

May112010005.jpg

May112010003.jpg

Hope I get the job this time!! :D

peter d

There is no code rule that would prevent installing a Homline panelboard in an Arrow Hart cabinet.

Let the games begin. ;)

Now, the lack of a main is another story!!

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Are they going to pay you for a proper job this time? No mercy on this; charge at least what you quoted 1st time and add to it if the jacklegging complicates the job in any way. I see so much junk like that it's unbelievable. I am hoping commercial work will pick up a lot more around here so I can back away from resi a bit. Resi gets discouraging with so much of this stuff happening.

LeeB

Nice Work, not!

Nice Work, not!

At least he spent time trying to terminate the line conductors. You do get what you pay for!

LeeB

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
I'll bet there was not deadfront, either.

The guy did have a dead front. The original dead front. I doesn't really fit.

And I don't see any AFCIs, either.

As for AFCI's, why would they be required for a panel change?

AFCI's wouldn't have been required. I believe the only City that requires them around here on a service change is the City of Scottsdale.

At least he spent time trying to terminate the line conductors. You do get what you pay for!

The way he terminated the feeders makes me think that this was taken out of a 100A Homeline panel. The lugs aren't large enough to accomodate the 3/0 wire.

So, I find out the "electrician" that did this job was one of the A/C installers who were on the job the first time I came out to look at it.

No license, no permit, no brains!

satcom

In some areas, when a load center is replaced, they require it be brought up to current code, and that may include the addition of two ground rods, and repair any protection defects, that may exist.

growler

So, I find out the "electrician" that did this job was one of the A/C installers who were on the job the first time I came out to look at it.

No license, no permit, no brains!

This sort of thing happens all the time and there is not much you can do. I would just give them a price to replace this mess and here I would have to bring the gounds up to code. What ever it takes to make it right.

Either they accept your price or they don't. I wouldn't spend much time with them because you know what happened last time.

satcom

This sort of thing happens all the time and there is not much you can do. I would just give them a price to replace this mess and here I would have to bring the gounds up to code. What ever it takes to make it right.

Either they accept your price or they don't. I wouldn't spend much time with them because you know what happened last time.

Yes, there are customers that are always looking for the best price, and they usually get the best price, three or four time over, and end up paying three of four times more in the end. Do it right the first time and be done with it, IMO anyone that hires a hack to do electrical work is a red flag customer, and I would move on.

480sparky

Yes, there are customers that are always looking for the best price, and they usually get the best price, three or four time over, and end up paying three of four times more in the end. Do it right the first time and be done with it, IMO anyone that hires a hack to do electrical work is a red flag customer, and I would move on.

Incorrectamoondo. Customers are always looking for the lowest price. They never look for the best price.

stevenje

Take a look at the photo again. Do I see 2-reds, a neutral and a ground going out of the back of the panel through what looks like a "tin snipped" square hole? :-?

Status
Not open for further replies.