Just for Fun:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dnkldorf

Electrons, electricity, electronic and other words that begin with "electr..." all originate from the Greek word "elektor," meaning "beaming sun." In Greek, "elektron" is the word for amber.

Amber is a very pretty goldish brown "stone" that sparkles orange and yellow in sunlight. Amber is actually fossilized tree sap! It's the stuff used in the movie "Jurassic Park." Millions of years ago insects got stuck in the tree sap. Small insects which had bitten the dinosaurs, had blood with DNA from the dinosaurs in the insect's bodies, which were now fossilized in the amber.

Ancient Greeks discovered that amber behaved oddly - like attracting feathers - when rubbed by fur or other objects. They didn't know what it was that caused this phenomenon. But the Greeks had discovered one of the first examples of static electricity (see Chapter 3).

The Latin word, electricus, means to "produce from amber by friction."

So, we get our English word electricity from Greek and Latin words that were about amber.

__dan

Electricity

Electricity

Electricity is a difference of voltage potential between two points.

This could be a pretty good thread. Care to look at the definition of the electron? (It's not a "point charge").

ohmhead

Well Electricity is all things in general all material things about us.
matter includes woods metal gases & solid matter etc etc.

Regardless of its size or quality or quanity can be broken down fundamentally into two different particles .

Which are called electrons and protons in the field of electricity we define it as a charge .

Electrically we say that the electron is negative and the proton is posistively charged .

All things of matter have a charge we know electromagnetic energy is a driving force and can move electrons out of there place in orbit in the valance outer shell around the nucleus of each atom which make up the matter which is its atomic structure .

IMO everything that is here on our good earth is electrically charged.

And at some point will pass its electron in its outer valence shell to the next atom in the chain if a magnetic force is applied.
also if a potential of opposite charge is applied.

If a static charge is a build up of opposite charges between points electrons move .

Photons of light today can move electrons .

Heat can move electrons .

Motion can move electrons .

Chemical reactions can move electrons .

Get a book on the structure of the atom theory & energy bands crystalline structure .

__dan

Electricity

Electricity

You can have a PD and no current.

A potential difference between insulated points will have electric field effects, electricity, there. Joining two insulated points with a conductor does not create the electricity, it allows the current flow or load effects if the PD is there.

Radio transmission, say between the Mars lander and NASA, photon emission from a HID lamp, the force that holds atoms together in molecules, those I would call electronic and not electric.

ohmhead

Well i think that electronics and electrical are one of the same when electrons are the subject .

The old vaccum tube used before the transistor of today .

Heres how it worked the filiment got red hot that alone gave off electrons in a cloud area around the filiment in the old vaccum tube the plate B+ attracted these emmited electrons and we had a current passing in a vaccum tube a heater or filiment and a grid between input signal passing to the plate to amplify point to point in a vaccum tube .

Amplifiers , rectifiers , oscillators , radio, TV electrons are what they are .

Transistors work the same way but pass electrons thur n type or p type material atoms are atoms and electrons are electrons dc or ac its all the same .

We move electrons that already exist in material of matter i feel we just manipulate these in use but its just what one thinks or learns .

Any lamp filiment gives off electrons .

Last edited:

nakulak

defining electricity is humorously inexact, being that it is both a form of energy and something that is defined by empirical observation, the attempt at re-definition, or clarification, of it can only be an exercise in circular reasoning, hence my original statement "define definition". This gentlemen has, however, come up with a somewhat cohesive treatise on the subject:

http://amasci.com/miscon/whatis.html

ohmhead

Well i read it and its good reading Nakulak and i totally agree with his example we really dont know .

Makes one think just how far we have come in this world of ours .

Iam calling my power company monday morning and telling them iam not going to pay my bill this month as they didnt make that electric.
:D:D

Besoeker

Besoeker,
Just curious how far an electron moves in one second?
I have a general answer, and it is surprising.
:)
For 1.0mm^2 wire* operating at its rated current carrying capacity, it is about quarter of a millimeter per second. Or one hundreth of an inch.

*18AWG<1.0mm^2<16AWG

Mayimbe

Electrons, electricity, electronic and other words that begin with "electr..." all originate from the Greek word "elektor," meaning "beaming sun." In Greek, "elektron" is the word for amber...

...The Latin word, electricus, means to "produce from amber by friction."

So, we get our English word electricity from Greek and Latin words that were about amber.

I didnt know that. The greeks always in a certain way delivered the general truth of things. Fantastic Post. My favorite so far.

Ambericity

ohmhead

Well i always thought that a electron traveled at the speed of light thats when i went to school .

But today science says it doesnt attain but 90 percent of that speed and to increase its speed energy must be increased but it can never can get to the speed of light . Because as it gets close to the speed of light it gets heavier and needs lots of energy .

They say its spins around its orbit or nucleus at 2,200 kilometers per second and if the earth was its atom center it would pass the point it started in 18 seconds around the earth thats fast .

My question does current effect speed ?

Or does voltage effect speed ?

And does resistance effect speed?

Which one effects the electrons speed ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.