Just saw a code violation on Holmes on Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1miller

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Administrator/SCADA Engineer
Mike Holmes electrical panels

Mike Holmes electrical panels

So why are all of his new electrical panels installed sideways? Is this a Canada thing?

bullheimer

As a recent thread indicates. This is a matter of interpretation. If it is a fused disconnect then I think most posters here agree that clearance is required. When it is a non fused disconnect different opinions have been expressed. I come down on the no clearance requirement. IMO checking not enough criteria to require clearance. If it was, then you could not put use a receptacle under a sink as a disconnect either, since you may need to check voltage in it as well.

thats what they say here, if it's fused, which aymk also means ckt bkrs, then you need clearance. no fuse no clearance issues. but thats here. now, where am i?

kwired

Electron manager
Yup. They have a lot of 60 space panels up there now, and mounting `em sideways means you can reach all the breakers more easily .... :blink:

Apparently there is no rule that when operated vertically the handle must be up in the on position and down in the off position.

kwired

Electron manager
I used to do work for a builder with OCD. He built with 2" x 6" walls before it became popular, would take plumb bob, strike a vertical line on every stud to find a bow, or cup, then take a hand power planer and dress them down so there would be no bulges in the drywall. Every joist was spaced 16" o.c. thru the whole length, I could cut a pile of 14 1/2" long 2 x 4 pieces for pipe/duct supports to go between the joists, fit perfectly every where I placed them. He put down sand/plastic vapor barrier in the crawl spaces, usually had 3' height, was almost comfortable to work in.

It can still warp when it finishes drying out.

The opposite side would need something added otherwise you start to make the wall narrower which is a problem with doors and windows, but so is not having a straight rough opening.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Apparently there is no rule that when operated vertically the handle must be up in the on position and down in the off position.

Nothing here says that either, but it does have to be marked on/off if you aren't going to do that.

Remember your breakers here go side to side.

Sorry I take that back. You are correct. 404.7

They should let us deleate our own posts when we find out that we answered to quick.

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
240.33 does allow you to mount a panel horizontally, but then 240.81 says that if the breakers are operated vertically, up shall be the on position.

renosteinke

Canada does not have the 'down is off' requirement. Even here, it is a fairly recent rule (99?)

One of my favorite pieces of service equipment is the Square D "SO1020M100S." Prior to the code change, this unit had the breakers mounted 'sideways,' and for the bottom row 'down' was 'on.' They had to redesign the bussbars to meet the new rule.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Canada does not have the 'down is off' requirement. Even here, it is a fairly recent rule (99?)

One of my favorite pieces of service equipment is the Square D "SO1020M100S." Prior to the code change, this unit had the breakers mounted 'sideways,' and for the bottom row 'down' was 'on.' They had to redesign the bussbars to meet the new rule.

You are probably right about it being a recent change, because the reason I answered was I thought that it used to say, that as long as the switch was marked on/off, then it was ok if down was on.

kwired

Electron manager
You are probably right about it being a recent change, because the reason I answered was I thought that it used to say, that as long as the switch was marked on/off, then it was ok if down was on.

Recent being at least 20-25 years ago. You could not have a handle be up in the off position for as long as I have been in the trade.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Recent being at least 20-25 years ago. You could not have a handle be up in the off position for as long as I have been in the trade.

And that's possible too. I've been an inspector for 22 years and wore the tools for 14 before that. I call it inspector years when you're tearing down buildings that you helped build.:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.