Keeping Master Electricians License After Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEYDOG

I am wondering how many of you hold onto your Master License after retirement? If you are,I would guess that you are paying a yearly renewal fee plus keeping liability insurance and Bonding. I know in some areas you can put your license as inactive. In my area you can only do that for so long. I know that I worked long and hard to get my Masters License and I am not quite ready to give it up! How about the rest of you?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have been retired for 6 years and have kept mine but I'm not sure if I will do it again. I will have to do 8hrs of CE before the end of the year and renew by 1/8/23
It is an expense but that is not the reason I will let it go, I just really don't think I will use it again

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here in NJ being a licensed contractor is a two part process. The first part is passing the exam and obtaining a license. That doesn't allow you to do any work or sign for permits. To do that requires the part two, a business permit. The business permit is issued when you have a electrical contractor's license, proof of insurance and a surety bond. You can remain a part one (licensed electrical contractor) indefinitely as long as you keep up with your 34 hours of CEU credits every three years and pay the license renewal fee. Since I no longer have a business permit that is what I do.

It does suck having to shell out close to a thousand bucks every three years to keep the license active but like you I've spent an incredible amount of energy and time to get so I'm not giving it up any time soon.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I retired in April of this year. I plan on keeping my license as I'm doing small stuff and on occasion, a larger job if an emergency. Our licenses are good for two years and are not that expensive. My biggest expense is the insurance, but its not terrible, so I will keep it as long as I'm doing enough work to justify it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If there is no plan to use it for something, I don't see any good reason to pay the money to keep it.
I just keep it active because who knows what opportunity may present itself in the future. I'm keeping my options open for when I hang up my tool belt in 8 months.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I thought after I retired I would work 2 or 3 service calls a week for extra play money but I lost interest quickly. I didn't renew my license.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's what I have to do to my motorcycle every several thousand miles.
burnout.gif

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
Retire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right answer!

When I moved here I wasn't sure if I'd quit at 67 or 70. I turn 61 in March (don't let my profile picture fool you!). I love the summers here, I love being able to go skiing whenever there's snow, so it'll be 70.

But when I retire, that's it. I'm done.

b1miller

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical Administrator/SCADA Engineer
I retired 7 years ago but kept up my masters for part time consulting work. The last 5 years or so one of our local electrical distribution houses has been giving free CEU classes that are Washington State L&I approved. What's not to like about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.