Keeping Master Electricians License After Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not working with the tools or using my license, but I am the "licensed electrician" on our local electrical commission. They wanted me to say on after I retired, so I told them fine, as long as they waive the $150 yearly fee.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
Here in NJ being a licensed contractor is a two part process. The first part is passing the exam and obtaining a license. That doesn't allow you to do any work or sign for permits. To do that requires the part two, a business permit. The business permit is issued when you have a electrical contractor's license, proof of insurance and a surety bond. You can remain a part one (licensed electrical contractor) indefinitely as long as you keep up with your 34 hours of CEU credits every three years and pay the license renewal fee. Since I no longer have a business permit that is what I do.

It does suck having to shell out close to a thousand bucks every three years to keep the license active but like you I've spent an incredible amount of energy and time to get so I'm not giving it up any time soon.
If you get your HHS inspector's license, the inspector license renewal courses from the DCA are free and many are reciprocal hours towards the EC license. I only pay for the 10 hour code law course at every renewal. Saves a little money.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I just keep it active because who knows what opportunity may present itself in the future. I'm keeping my options open for when I hang up my tool belt in 8 months.
That sounds like a plan for me. But I'm looking at less than 20 days until I retire. Renewal is $50.00 for 3 years and I believe they have eased up on the CEU's so I'm looking hard at keeping it. If for only another 3 years.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
That sounds like a plan for me. But I'm looking at less than 20 days until I retire. Renewal is $50.00 for 3 years and I believe they have eased up on the CEU's so I'm looking hard at keeping it. If for only another 3 years.
I just looked at my paperwork from last renewal. $115.00 for 3 years. and I think it is now $90.00 for 2 years. plus 3 hrs. of CEU's.
I may have to rethink renewal on something I haven't had to show or provide in years.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
I gave a Maryland 5-CEU (hours) 70E class last week and one of the attendees was 82 years old, and he looked and moved pretty well. He said he was there to get the 5 CEUs he needed for license renewal, and that he just does a little bit of work here and there. I think that's awesome. I think you have to stay physically and mentally active in order to age gracefully.

bh08742

Occupation
electrician
Gave up my Jersey Business Permit when I retired couple years ago. Still keep my Contractors license active though. Not really sure why, I guess because I worked so hard to get it. Maybe I'll let it go when the next continuing ed cycle comes around....dunno

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I let my Masters go in MA when I retired almost 4 years ago Kept my Journeymen's because in MA you can run a business (single journeymen with 1 unlicensed apprentice) and still pull permits. It's not mandatory to have insurance as long as the building owner signs off on that on the permit.

Connecticut allows you to retire you license from what I understand and you can get it back for a small fee if you need it within 5 years. Don't know how you make up the code updates though.

I also dropped Vermont

Status
Not open for further replies.