kickback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyelectric

I read some of these posts and shake my head. Maybe I just have heard too many times that added value is worth more. Add value or at least perceived value. Isn't perception a lot of what something actually is? If we perceive it a certain way it is. A designer can say this is the electrician you need and to the customer you are the electrician they need. It has to be so.

The designer knows what she is talking about and that is what they said. They are the expert and that is why they were hired. I get a call. Margie said I need you. Margie is right, you need me. Margie did the hard part. She built value into her business by being the expert.

Part of the value in her business is knowing who the customer needs to call. Someone that is easy to work with, shows up when they say they will, does a professional installation at a reasonable cost (enough to actually make a profit, and feel they are making enough to be able to add value into there job instead of feeling like they don't have the time to be there because they have other jobs to get to, so they do things in a manner other than what they feel may be best), can be contacted when needed, and handles themselves in a professional manner.

All we have to do is fulfill our responsibility of adding value in our business. 10% of a well sold job is not a lot of money. There are guys running around selling 200A heavy ups for $800. I'm selling them for $2300. That's almost 400%.

A garage is selling car fixes for the same as the dealer. The dealer has added value. There is a good chance that someone is selling the same fix out of there 2 car garage next to their house for 25% of what the car dealership is and most people don't know it and there is sure to be guys that run the full gambit between the 2.

Car Dealerships are typically the most expensive place to get a car fixed. There are some dealerships that will try to make people that don't know think if they don't get there oil changed there than their warranty is voided. They don't say that outright, they just let them know that they do oil changes at the required intervals that keeps there warranty in place and they keep all the records of them being done so there will not be a problem it they ever suffer catastrophic engine failure during the 10 year 100K mile warranty did you know it costs close to $6500. to put an engine in this car? Do you want me to go ahead and get the first appointment set up for you while your here? I can take you back to the service department and introduce you to Mike our service manager. He can take good care of you.

The salesman added value to his service department by letting you know they keep records of required work and introduced the customer to the service writer creating a relationship and awareness.

There is added value in being able to get a production facility back in operation in 5 days compared to 5 weeks. There is added value in being able to keep an electrical system organized, labeled and in good working order as opposed to walking into a commercial facility and finding a breaker somewhere and adding an unrelated piece of equipment to it. Of course it is cheaper initially to put a piece of equipment on an existing breaker and get out of there in 4 hours. What if there are long term goals of added production or an office renovation in the area of the needed circuit?

Possibly now is the time to add the new service or sub panel. You just added value by knowing the background and direction of your customer. He already has a piece of the future in place, or has at least been made aware of direction that needs to be taken and knows you are the expert. Things were done in such a way that Ernie the warehouse guy can find what he needs without having to spend a lot of time and energy trying to figure out or remember where he has to look for that breaker. Added value. Worth more money. If all I've got is the cheapest price than 10% may be an awful lot of money. If I've got added value, 10% is not so much. I've got Margie. She's got added value. She has positioned herself as the expert. She's also got 10% coming to her. It's business.

weressl said:
I agree with most of your points.

However you missed my point of questioning why should the decorator receive additional benefit besides that she is already earning an extra profit by working with an EC she knows? I would not have a problem her marking up the subcontracting fee if she is to hire the EC.

cschmid said:
You can charge anything you want but in the end customers talk and you can be the real loser..If I am the customer and get an itemized bid vs the flat bid which are you going to pick..especially if they are only few dollars different, the one who is up front or the one who acts as if there is something to hide..Your choice..

Are you building a business or just being a profession electrician who is self employed..

These are the 2 main posts that inspired this long rambling rant. Funny neither is from a contractor or business owner, but desire to express their ideas about business matters. I?d think the customer would go with whomever built the best perceived value into there price especially if the prices were similar. Being recommended by a professional that is already involved in the project would certainly build a lot more value than the fact things were broken down a little more in someone else?s bid, but if there is a defined scope in your bid who cares if the price is itemized? If you show the value in the job you do than that is what the customer will say about you. If they want the cheapest person available you don?t want them as a customer anyway. You want someone that will pay for a profitable job. I have no idea what that last part of that last post is supposed to mean. I think it means he figures Marc has no exit strategy due to the fact he is adding value to his service and making his business more profitable. Not sure. I can certainly see the value in Marc operation. It shows in his posts. It will be showing again soon when the next person needs information as to how to use a piece of equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:

iwire

Staff member
bradleyelectric said:
If Bob would put the edit button back I'd take care of that. I see what you mean. My posts don't usually run on that long.

I did not remove the 'Enter' button. :smile:

BTW I only have a vote in the process, not control. :smile:

cschmid

bradleyelectric...you have a couple of thing wrong but I do agree and at no time have I ever down sized the value added benefit..in our area I am your competition..I do value added all the time..I firmly believe the code is the minimum safety standard not a design manual..My whole point is the designer ask him to pad the bid for 10% for her recommendation..You don't pad the bids that should be part of your overhead as in an advertising account..

Are you building a business or just being a profession electrician who is self employed..

I have ask this question to anyone not Marc..I work for a 90 year old company and the company is designed to be around for the future..When your business is dissolved, do you have a business to sell or just a bunch of wore out gear..Can your business run with out you..it is a philosophical question..I believe Marc is very Professional but would his business run without him..Marcs business is built around him and it makes him money, just as I assume yours makes you money..

I have never said you should not pay a commission but if you add it to your bill my bill will be cheaper as I have it is my overhead exspenses..commisions are negotiable such as the job might not warrant 10% maybe if you bring us lots of business you might get a end of year commision..So do not get sucked in and don't think for a minute I don't know the art of negotiation..

just as getting materials, the guy who buys allot of materials and pays on time is going to get a better deal then the guy who on buys a fee and is constantly late..Do not under estimate you competition..

I have ask the philosophical question of why you are in business..I work for a corporation which is 90 years old the guys who work here can have peace of mind that they can get the retirement and that if there sons or daughters get a job here they can also retire from here..It is a respected product of the community by customers and employees..What are your businesses just profit machines for you alone how does it benefit the community you are in..

So lets hear why you guys answer some of the questions..

growler

cschmid said:
I have ask the philosophical question of why you are in business..I work for a corporation which is 90 years old the guys who work here can have peace of mind that they can get the retirement and that if there sons or daughters get a job here they can also retire from here..It is a respected product of the community by customers and employees..What are your businesses just profit machines for you alone how does it benefit the community you are in..

Go back and read your own post from a couple of months ago when your beloved big corporation was treating you like a whipping boy and trying to call you a thief for working a couple of hours on Sunday.

Many people just don't like and will not put up with the corporate BS. They would rather makes their own rules and decisions. I wouldn't want my son or daughter to work for those people ( Corporate ).

I would much rather pay a finders fee to a designer than sell my dignity for a pay check ( I wouldn't like being treated as a whipping boy). Everything in life has certian ethical implications, it's impossible to be totally ethical and we each have to choose where we are willing to make certain concessions.

You chose to be an employee and you do what it takes to keep your job and we chose to be in business and we do what we have to to stay in business and make money.

It's just a different way of looking at life and no one has the right to point the rightous finger. We all make some concessions. ;)

cschmid

you had to bring up the whipping boy thing..that is still bad subject here but one person does not speak for the corporation as I have found out since then with meetings which there was one yesterday..

I apologize If I am pointing the righteous finger..I believe paying a commission to someone is fair and legal..but padding a bill makes it sound oh so naughty..or calling it a kick back just bad terminology..

So If you think I am against profession electricians running their own shop I am not..In fact if it was not for them the competition would be slim and the price gouging would be rampant..

I just think there has to be more for being in business then just profit..that is all corporations are about. So what is it that drives you to work 60 hour weeks and put up with the hassel..no one can tells..because in the end I believe my pay check is not that much off your paychecks..

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I find it moderately ironic that some of the same people who have no objection whatsoever to raising their rates, and make a big stink here that their rates are too low, object to raising their rates when the extra goes to a third party.

growler

petersonra said:
I find it moderately ironic that some of the same people who have no objection whatsoever to raising their rates, and make a big stink here that their rates are too low, object to raising their rates when the extra goes to a third party.

I think they object because they think she is making money for no real effort.

This is not really the case. Some of the designers spend a lot of time ( unbillable hours) with their clients. I would think that she is just trying to recover this cost. It's also important to note that the more time she is able to spend with a prospective client without digging into their wallet the better her chances of making a sale.

I'm also sure that she would rather just bill the client straight up and be done with it but people are not always happy when they know the true cost of some services even if they are well worth it.

Some of these designers are not billing at the fantastic rate that you would think even when they are on the clock. If they are unknown or don't have a large client base they really don't get paid that well.

When they get known and build a reputation is when they start to make money.

bradleyelectric

cschmid said:
bradleyelectric...you have a couple of thing wrong

So lets hear why you guys answer some of the questions..

I often have a lot of things wrong. Thanks for noticing.

To be honest, the book emyth is all about putting systems in place and making your business able to run without you. It's about making your business like a franchise in that anyone could step in and take your place or follow your system information to start and run their own business. See my rant on what emyth is about in that thread. http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?p=856778#post856778
Once the systems are in place anyone qualified can work within them.

This enter button is pretty fun.

It took your company 90 years to get where it is. I'm in year 6. I'm not there yet.

I do have a bookkeeper that is able to run the books without me interefering in that process. She does require my signature. I have a marketing coach that knows a lot more than I do in that area and more about business in general than I do. I'm learning. His web page is set up a lot like Patrick Kennedy's oddly enough. I'm betting he has never seen Mr. Sparky's web site. There aren't any of them in this area.

Having fun with this button too.

My business will not run without me at this time. That is the long term goal though. Maybe I will look to see if there is a way to check my own posts. That is the exit strategy that that I was refering to

bradleyelectric said:
I think it means he figures Marc has no exit strategy due to the fact he is adding value to his service and making his business more profitable. Not sure. I can certainly see the value in Marc operation. It shows in his posts. It will be showing again soon when the next person needs information as to how to use a piece of equipment.

What I am refering to in this is the fact that you said:

cschmid said:
You can charge anything you want but in the end customers talk and you can be the real loser..If I am the customer and get an itemized bid vs the flat bid which are you going to pick..especially if they are only few dollars different, the one who is up front or the one who acts as if there is something to hide..Your choice..

Which are two totally different realms. 1 discusses the fact that if he charges 10% more than you his customers will bad mouth him. 2 asks if he has an exit strategy based on the fact he may not mind sleeping after chargng 10% more than you. If he has his sytems in place he can work in any part of the company he wishes from technician to guy in the beach house cashing checks.

My business profits the community I'm in first by providing exceptional customer service to its clients. It is a reliable entity that can be accessed when it is needed and responds in a manner consistent with how I like to be treated and what the customer expects.

It also profits my community in that it provides employment in a humane manner in that its employees are respected by the company. It's employees can be relied on to act in a professional manner by its clients. They respect its clients and treat them in a fair manner.

It also profits its community by paying those that provide goods or services to it in a responsible manner.

There have been times when we have been able to donate time to the community for community projects to better the lives of those in the areas of recreational facilities, community celebrations and also private residences that were targeted by nonprofit organizations.

I've got a boat to get on in 45 minutes. Have to make sure I have everything done I want before than.

Last edited:

c2500

s.sparkomatic.r09 said:
BE AN EXPERT AT WHAT YOU DO, ALWAYS DO GOOD WORK.
With that said:
PAY CASH OUT ALWAYS
Be the guy they want to use AND PAY OUT CASH

One, it speeds up the time for your invoices to get paid.
Think about it builders have invoices from all trades, why should they make it a point to pay yours? If the super/deziner know they will get cash back then you get paid, you won’t have to wait long to get you check

Two, work volume increases to you. Now people have a reason to use you. There thousands of guys who “do the electric” why use you? BECAUSE IT PAYS!!!

Three if your bidding work……………well look everybody “knows” the price. If you come in a little higher and the super/deziner gets paid, they will use you.

Four, pay cash don’t be petty and fool with forms. I figure the pay out plus tax costs. I get the cash from the bank, and make a tax deposit the same day on the IRS web site.

Five, make it fun. I get cash from the bank. New hundred dollar bills, for the feel and smell. This alone does something to people. Then put in a big over sized manila envelope, fold it up a few times. Get an over sized rubber band to hold it together.
The fun part makes all the difference. One guy I pay out loves to sit along the road with the window on his truck down, I drive by slow and toss the money in the window, he speeds off. I mean what ever tips your hat dude, just give me more work!!!!!

Figure the cost in so they pay for the pay out and tax cost.

Builders love to play people:confused: , if you do good work you need to be the electrical contractor who plays the builder.........;) :grin: :D

Wow, I have never seen a better instruction guide to getting an audit from the IRS, the state, and maybe a few other agencies. Also, that is wrong on a number of levels, and very easily prosecutable by the state, feds, and whoever issues the license.

Also, I am a builder (and an electrician) and I don't play people, nor do I condone the above statements and would turn your ass in to all necessary authorities on a moments notice.

Also, my wife is a CPA (if you have a clue what that is) so I have a bit of knowledge in my above comments.

c2500

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
c2500 said:
Wow, I have never seen a better instruction guide to getting an audit from the IRS, the state, and maybe a few other agencies. Also, that is wrong on a number of levels, and very easily prosecutable by the state, feds, and whoever issues the license.

Also, I am a builder (and an electrician) and I don't play people, nor do I condone the above statements and would turn your ass in to all necessary authorities on a moments notice.

Also, my wife is a CPA (if you have a clue what that is) so I have a bit of knowledge in my above comments.

c2500
there is nothing necessarily illegal in doing what he has posted. a little unusual, but whatever trips your trigger. and I don't see anything there that would trigger an audit. audits are triggered by people filing returns showing something unusual, or just because they get lucky and the IRS decides to pick you for one of their random audits, even though there is nothing unusual about your return.

Status
Not open for further replies.