kickback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cschmid

bradleyelectric man you are correct that does read bad..my exit strategy is retirement or a new Job which ever comes first..I do not want the 60 hour weeks or the hassle of owner ship..

electricmanscott
My answer is simple, MONEY.

Honest I like it..so how is the retirement fund going..

I do enjoy the insight found here..Have a great weekend it is time for some crestliner therapy..

electricmanscott

cschmid said:
Honest I like it..so how is the retirement fund going..

It is actually going pretty well at this point. I work hard, charge accordingly and make sure that I am getting enough to put some away.

I will say though that I am not depending solely on the electrical biz to carry me through to that big transfomer vault in the sky. Diversify folks....:grin:

I would NEVER put my future in the hands of some corporation where I would be nothing more than employee 1234-5678....google Polaroid retiries.....

electricmanscott

peter d said:
You mean you're not in business to save the world, save the children, save the spotted owls, etc etc. ;)

Not a flippin chance......:roll: Thank god those yahoos weren't around umpteen years ago or we'd all be living like the Ingalls family. (best olden days reference i could think of, sorry :wink: )

I do recycle though :D

cschmid

ahh a few fish makes a man feel better...I dont depend totally on a corporation either yet it is my main cash flow..had a contracting business but the stress was killing me..I hate collecting the debt..getting the first amount was easy collecting the final was a pain in the arsh and it was not the customers I would of thought..

peter d

electricmanscott said:
I will say though that I am not depending solely on the electrical biz to carry me through to that big transfomer vault in the sky. Diversify folks....:grin:

I worked for an small EC (5-6 guys) some years back who wired new houses exclusively in the glory years of homebuilding (early 2000's.) I often wondered how he did so well in such a competitive market, considering that we mostly wired spec homes and a handful of mega-sized customs a year.

It turns out that he didn't do just electrical, and it didn't hurt that his family was well off. He built his own houses on the side, and was involved in real estate.

Two suspects are arrested by the police. The police have insufficient evidence for a conviction, and, having separated both prisoners, visit each of them to offer the same deal. If one testifies ("defects") for the prosecution against the other and the other remains silent, the betrayer goes free and the silent accomplice receives the full 10-year sentence. If both remain silent, both prisoners are sentenced to only six months in jail for a minor charge. If each betrays the other, each receives a five-year sentence. Each prisoner must choose to betray the other or to remain silent. Each one is assured that the other would not know about the betrayal before the end of the investigation. How should the prisoners act?

Prisoner's dilemma
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nice
The most important condition is that the strategy must be "nice", that is, it will not defect before its opponent does (this is sometimes referred to as an "optimistic" algorithm). Almost all of the top-scoring strategies were nice; therefore a purely selfish strategy will not "cheat" on its opponent, for purely utilitarian reasons first.
Retaliating
However, Axelrod contended, the successful strategy must not be a blind optimist. It must sometimes retaliate. An example of a non-retaliating strategy is Always Cooperate. This is a very bad choice, as "nasty" strategies will ruthlessly exploit such softies.
Forgiving
Successful strategies must also be forgiving. Though players will retaliate, they will once again fall back to cooperating if the opponent does not continue to play defects. This stops long runs of revenge and counter-revenge, maximizing points.
Non-envious
The last quality is being non-envious, that is not striving to score more than the opponent (impossible for a ‘nice’ strategy, i.e., a 'nice' strategy can never score more than the opponent).

480sparky

s.sparkomatic.r09 said:
Two suspects are arrested by the police. The police have insufficient evidence for a conviction....

Sorry, but at this point their lawyers would have them released in a heartbeat.

powerslave

Wow. Alot of opinions here on this topic. Thanks for all the feedback.

I have to say the first reply is all that I needed to make up my mind. I don't know why I didn't look at it from a marketing standpoint in the first place except that it just threw me for a loop at first. I wasn't sure if this was a normal way of doing business.

I'm going to speak to her and ask which way she prefers to handle it. Either I can 1099 her at the end of the year or she can invoice me. No throwing unmarked envelopes filled with cash into open car windows (with my luck the cops would probably think it was a drug deal going down or something.:grin: )

As long as it is on the up and up, which is the way I prefer to do business and the only way I can sleep at night, I see nothing wrong with paying a finders fee.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
s.sparkomatic.r09 said:
Two suspects are arrested by the police. The police have insufficient evidence for a conviction, and, having separated both prisoners, visit each of them to offer the same deal. If one testifies ("defects") for the prosecution against the other and the other remains silent, the betrayer goes free and the silent accomplice receives the full 10-year sentence. If both remain silent, both prisoners are sentenced to only six months in jail for a minor charge. If each betrays the other, each receives a five-year sentence. Each prisoner must choose to betray the other or to remain silent. Each one is assured that the other would not know about the betrayal before the end of the investigation. How should the prisoners act?

Prisoner's dilemma

this is why you should never, ever speak to police without your lawyer present.

growler said:
Unless she hold a general contractor's license that going to be hard to do. Either the homeowner acting as the General Contractor or general contractor hired for the project will have to hire the electrical contractor.

Most designers are not licensed or insured to act as prime contractors.

On a remodeling project you will need either a building or remodeling permit. All the subs come in under this permit. The general contractor is really responsible for the work done by everyone as far as warranty goes. It's up to him/her to make sure the subs honor any warranty.

The designer doesn't always call the shots on these jobs. If there is a GC then he will probably use his own EC. People that he normally works with.
If it's a homeowner project they still have the option of getting their own EC to do the work. They also have the option of getting a different designer.

Many homeowner don't even hire an actual licensed designer. In many cases it's not required that they be licensed. The homeowners try to hire someone on the cheap side and that's how this all gets started in the first place.

Exactly. This shows that the 'designer' is just trying to skim from the EC without having any of the legal burdens associated with Contracting.

Status
Not open for further replies.