Kitchen Coutertop Branch Circuit NEC Requirements for 230 Volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jun62269

The utilization voltage here in Saudi Arabia is 230 Volts. NEC 210.52(C)(3) requires not fewer than 2 small-appliance branch circuits to serve the kitchen countertop surfaces. However, NEC 210.52 specifically states that "This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets...".

My questions are:

1. Does the 2 branch circuit requirement for kitchen countertops also apply to 230 Volts?
2. Why is NEC specific about 125 Volts as in the requirements for GFCI in several wet/damp locations?

Note: Our construction project recognizes NEC 2014 Ed. as one of its standard references. The Contractor insists that this requirement does not apply to 230-Volt system.

iwire

Staff member
1. Does the 2 branch circuit requirement for kitchen countertops also apply to 230 Volts?

No

2. Why is NEC specific about 125 Volts as in the requirements for GFCI in several wet/damp locations?

Because 125 volts is the most common voltage used here.

I know the NEC is trying to become international but it was written with American electrical systems in mind.

Note: Our construction project recognizes NEC 2014 Ed. as one of its standard references. The Contractor insists that this requirement does not apply to 230-Volt system.

Unless you have stipulations in the contract extending those 125 volt NEC sections to the 230 volt wiring I have to agree with the contractor.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The NEC does not require any 240V receptacles in the kitchen since there are essentially no plug-in appliances that would use them.
Similarly, the market in the US for household 240V receptacles is so small that no manufacturers make 240V Class A GFCIs. So since the equipment is not available the NEC does not require its use.
This is different from the approach taken for AFCIs. :(

jun62269

Unless you have stipulations in the contract extending those 125 volt NEC sections to the 230 volt wiring I have to agree with the contractor.

Thanks iWire & Golddiger.

I've checked the project specifications and there was no section extending 125V to 230V. However, a note says "All electrical works, materials, devices, and their installation shall comply with project construction specification, National Electrical Code (NFPA 70 - 2014) and other applicable industry standards."

Is it right to say that since NEC is being referred to as a mandatory reference, the NEC safety principles shall then be adapted, and not basing literally on the utilization voltage? An example of which is the use of GFCI for wet/damp locations. Article 210.8(A) of the code says "All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles...shall have GFCI protection for personnel."

Contractor used RCD to comply with this code requirement. No objection was raised. So if such is the case, why should they not comply with the 2 branch-circuit requirement for kitchen countertop? Any opinion on this? Contractor seems to be selective on the application of the code.

jun62269

UPDATE: I have checked the International Residential Code (IRC) 2009 Edition and it doesn't mention any utilization voltage level. Can I use this to impose the two branch circuit for kitchen countertop? Here is what IRC 3703.2 says:

E3703.2 Kitchen and dining area receptacles.

A minimum of two 20-ampere-rated branch circuits shall be provided to serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets located in the kitchen, pantry, breakfast area, dining area or similar area of a dwelling. The kitchen countertop receptacles shall be served by a minimum of two 20-ampere-rated branch circuits, either or both of which shall also be permitted to supply other receptacle outlets in the same kitchen, pantry, breakfast and dining area including receptacle outlets for refrigeration appliances.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
UPDATE: I have checked the International Residential Code (IRC) 2009 Edition and it doesn't mention any utilization voltage level. Can I use this to impose the two branch circuit for kitchen countertop? Here is what IRC 3703.2 says:

A minimum of two 20-ampere-rated branch circuits shall be provided to serve all wall and floor receptacle outlets located in the kitchen, pantry, breakfast area, dining area or similar area of a dwelling. The kitchen countertop receptacles shall be served by a minimum of two 20-ampere-rated branch circuits, either or both of which shall also be permitted to supply other receptacle outlets in the same kitchen, pantry, breakfast and dining area including receptacle outlets for refrigeration appliances.

Yes and no. At 220 or 240V a 20A circuit is too large by a factor of two for normal kitchen appliance loads. So you would have to fudge/reinterpret that part of the rule.

kwired

Electron manager
Whoever specified using the NEC maybe needs to reconsider that decision IMO.

First sentence of 210.52 says: "This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets".

If you have to comply with 210.52 (and you do for dwelling units) you can not pass an NEC inspection if you have no system with 120 volts on the premises.

If this is not a dwelling there is no kitchen counter "required receptacles" and maybe NEC can apply.

david

Dosn't international Residential Code E3703.1 say? something like "General. Outlets for receptacles rated at 125 volts, 15-and 20-amperes shall be provided in accordance with"

jun62269

Whoever specified using the NEC maybe needs to reconsider that decision IMO.

If this is not a dwelling there is no kitchen counter "required receptacles" and maybe NEC can apply.

The project includes 22 4-storey residential buildings and one of the acceptable references is the latest edition of the NEC.

jumper

The project includes 22 4-storey residential buildings and one of the acceptable references is the latest edition of the NEC.

You cannot use the IRC for these buildings.

R101.1 Title.
These provisions shall be known as the Residential Code for One- and Two-family Dwellings of [NAME OF JURISDICTION], and shall be cited as such and will be referred to herein as "this code.”

R101.2 Scope.
The provisions of the International Residential Code for One- and Two-family Dwellings shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, removal and demolition of detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses not more than three stories above grade plane in height with a separate means of egress and their accessory structures.

kwired

Electron manager
As I said before you can not comply with NEC (as is printed) if you do not have a system that has 120 volts as part of the system, 210.52 requires certain outlets and requires them to be 120 volt nominal @ 15 or 20 amps.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Even though the NEC requires all kitchen counter 125V-15A or 20 A to be GFCI protected, I don't see why you can not do the same for your 240V receptacles.

Your common counter top appliances are 240V cord and plug connected, so other than cost I don't see a harm of having GFCI protrction.

I agree the NEC does not require it, yet it does not disallow it either.

iwire

Staff member
Even though the NEC requires all kitchen counter 125V-15A or 20 A to be GFCI protected, I don't see why you can not do the same for your 240V receptacles.

Your common counter top appliances are 240V cord and plug connected, so other than cost I don't see a harm of having GFCI protrction.

I agree the NEC does not require it, yet it does not disallow it either.

But the NEC does prohibit 240 volt circuits for small loads. See 210.6

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The utilization voltage here in Saudi Arabia is 230 Volts. NEC 210.52(C)(3) requires not fewer than 2 small-appliance branch circuits to serve the kitchen countertop surfaces. However, NEC 210.52 specifically states that "This section provides requirements for 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacle outlets...".

My questions are:

What code does Saudi Arabia use? Your location says Philippines, so I will assume you are using the Philippine electrical code which is based on the NEC.

My understanding is that under the Philippine electrical code you need a minimum of two branch circuits for the kitchen counter tops regardless of voltage {see 2.10.1.11 (c)}:

2.10.1.11 Branch Circuits Required. Branch circuits for lighting and
for appliances, including motor-operated appliances, shall be provided
to supply the loads calculated in accordance with 2.20.2.1. In addition,
branch circuits shall be provided for specific loads not covered by
2.20.2.1 where required elsewhere in this Code and for dwelling unit
loads as specified in 2.10.1.11(c).

(c) Dwelling Units.
(1) Small-Appliance Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of
branch circuits required by other parts of this section, two or more 20-
ampere small-appliance branch circuits shall be provided for all
receptacle outlets specified by 2.10.3.3(b).

The NEC requires GFCI protection for 125 volt receptacles because that is both the standardized and maximum general use utilization voltage allowed by the NEC in 210.16 (A). In the Philippine electrical code where this happens to be 230 volts GFCI protection is still required:

2.10.1.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for
Personnel.

FPN: See 2.15.1.9 for ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel on
feeders.
(a) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt and/or 250 volts, single-phase, 15-
and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1)
through (8) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for
personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.