Kitchen Peninsula Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff43222

I just got hired for a full-gut kitchen job, and after I bid it out, the HO tells me there's going to be a peninsula. It's big enough to require countertop receptacles, but the peninsula itself will have no backsplash on which to install them. I found the code book a little vague in terms of where I'm supposed to put them.

If I understand 210.52(C)(3) and 210.52(C)(5) Exception (b) correctly, I just have to have one receptacle somewhere on the peninsula no more than 12" below the counterop, right?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Kitchen Peninsula Receptacle

We always put them at the end of the peninsula about 8" below the counter top. This is to clear the drawer on the inside. The counter top cannot extend more than 6" over the edge for the receptacle to satisfy the requirement.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I've noticed that the code says nothing about if the countertop extends more than 6" in all directions without a backsplash.

What do you do? :(

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

George, you could use one of these.

;)

Roger

[ July 24, 2005, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

jeff43222

Originally posted by georgestolz:
I've noticed that the code says nothing about if the countertop extends more than 6" in all directions without a backsplash.

What do you do? :(
My reading of that section says that it's permissible to install a receptacle below the countertop if there's no backsplash and if the countertop doesn't extend more than 6" from the base, but it seems to me that if the countertop does extend more than 6" from the base in all directions, the exception wouldn't apply, and then some provision would have to be made to install a receptacle above the countertop.

romeo

As an inspector this peninsula and island receptacle is a thorn in my side.It really aggravates me to hear from the electrician that he is unable to meet the NEC requirement because the counter top extends more than 6" from the base or there is a wine rack or draw in the way.

There is no exception in the NEC because of the above problems. The builder and vender need to learn to design these peninsulas and islands so the code requirement can be met. Some of these ( i will call counters ) are built like a beautiful piece of furniture. The opening for the box to receive the receptacle should be cut by the person building it not the electrician.

I insist on the receptacle being installed even if a draw has to be blocked off or a ugly wiremold box has to be used. IMO if all inspectors did the same the builders would wise up and it would no longer be an issue.

Sorry for being so long winded THANKS romeo

electricmanscott

Romeo, not all customers or builders spending thousands of dollars are open to having an receptacle in their new kitchen cabinets. I'll admit there have been a bunch of times that I have not installed such for this reason. I let them battle with the inspector. There is no way I am going to cut a hole against the owners wishes. As far as mounting one where an overhang exists you can just mount it to the underside of the counter near the edge with a wiremold box. You can epoxy it and even spray paint it before you install it.

[ July 24, 2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

electricmanscott

Originally posted by electricmanscott:
Romeo, not all customers or builders spending thousands of dollars are open to having an receptacle in their new kitchen cabinets. I'll admit there have been a bunch of times that I have not installed such for this reason. I let them battle with the inspector. There is no way I am going to cut a hole against the owners wishes. As far as mounting one where an overhang exists you can just mount it to the underside of the counter near the edge with a wiremold box. You can epoxy it and even spray paint it before you install it.
PS. I would argue to the bitter end that this receptacle creates a far more egregious hazard than not having one. I wait for the day (and you know it will come) that someone sues the NEC, inspectors, and everyone else in the chain of events (myself included probably) that lead to a child getting burned and severly disfigured when they pull a hot crock pot down on themselves because of the cord oeverhanging the counter.

jwelectric

Or maybe charging the parents for child neglect for not watching that child while the hot pot was sitting there.

What kind of a parent would allow their children to swing from an electrical cord anyway. That parent would have to be drunk or on drugs to allow something like this to happen.

Just another point of view
:)

electricmanscott

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Or maybe charging the parents for child neglect for not watching that child while the hot pot was sitting there.

What kind of a parent would allow their children to swing from an electrical cord anyway. That parent would have to be drunk or on drugs to allow something like this to happen.

Just another point of view
:)
:roll:

romeo

Maybe the receptacle is required so some dummy will not run an extension from the counter to the peninsula or island.

romeo

jeff43222

I'm starting the rough-in for that kitchen on Wednesday, so I'll be sure to inform the HO that a peninsula receptacle is required. The HO is mostly clueless about remodeling, but he is pretty open to suggestions and doesn't seem opposed to the idea of meeting code (unlike some people I've encountered). The carpenter has been pretty cooperative and can probably come up with a solution that will make everyone happy.

JohnE

As an electrician, when a situation arises where there is no spot to mount a receptacle due to wine rack, bookcase, overhang, etc., I'll question the inspector to see if he'll allow it to be omitted. Many do. I wish howeever that every insector would enforce it to the letter of the law. I'll bet that the cabinet designers and builders would then always take the required receptacle into consideration on future projects. Personally, I disagree with the requirement for a receptacle in an island or peninsula, but if that is code and is always enforced then we as electricians will have less headaches eventually when builders and kitchen designers take our requirements into consideration.

John

jwelectric

Allen
Raised five children and helped raise five grand children. Figure that with in the next couple of years I will be assisting with my great grand children.

As my kids grew up I taught them not to grab the lamps and candles. I would have taught them to leave the receptacle alone if we had been fortunate to have had one. They also knew to not get close to the heater and not play in the coal bucket. When I was in the kitchen working I would sometimes put them in the wood box but it didn?t take them long to learn to climb out.

I see where you are coming from as the chance of a child being able to pull something off the top. With the same breath I can say that a kid could get hit by a car if they ran out in the street.

To say that it would be safer to leave the receptacle out would be the same as saying to park all vehicles so that the kid won?t get hit in the street. Now if we park all vehicles how are we going to make the beer run?
:D

volt101

The receptacle needs to be there.
The parent doesn't HAVE TO plug the hot pot in that one.
That one is just for plugging in your laptop isn't it?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by romeo: Maybe the receptacle is required so some dummy will not run an extension from the counter to the peninsula or island.
I am sure that that is precisely the reason. I think a cord dangling across a path bewtween counters (or even laid on the floor) is a more clear hazard than having something plugged into the side of the peninsula.

JohnE

Originally posted by allenwayne:

To me IMHO it is not the electricians job to design a kitchrn .That it the architects /builders/designers job to ensure that there is required space for that receptacle
or deal with a tombstone receptacle on that ``
My feelings exactly

electricmanscott

This is one area of the NEC I feel there should be some flexibility. To me you are trying to avoid a hazard by creating a potential hazard. Just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.