Kitchen Peninsula Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

Re: Kitchen Peninsula Receptacle

Scott, I'm with you. I have no problem with receptacles where they make sense. The trouble is that CMP 2 doesn't give a hoot about fine cabinetry or custom stone work. We shouldn't need to have some kind of written concent from them to be left alone when there's no safety concern so we can have something nice.

I understand that 95% of the time it's warranted. But there ought a be an exception for some things. I'm glad there are some inspectors that can see the difference.

allenwayne

When I was in the field I did nothing but custom homes for my company . From 5,000 to 32,000 sq. ft.,As we all know the only constant thing with customs the only standard is changes :D
I did a home for one of the steinbrenners (owners of the yankees) and entering part of the kitchen was an 11 ft carved wood flat topped penninsula and on the end was a ornate wine bottle rack,okay so its a penninsula it can be 50 ft and only needs one receptacle.it was wired for a back splash as per code every 4 ft. but somewhere between rough and trim the bach splash went away and instead there was an 11 in overhang. and a carved wood knee wall :D The gc said delete it this is mr stienbrenner it wont matter what the AHJ says :D needles to say part of the wine rack went away and a recep was installed but not until a hefty e.w.o. was singed.I stll laugh at what happened because the ahj didn`t put it on the permit he pulled the backing off and placed it on the gc`s chest before leaving saying that1s for mr steinbrenner :cool:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Scott and Sam, I'll third the motion.

Roger

physis

Discretion of AHJ.

As it is now the AHJ has to break the rules to allow it.

allenwayne

Just curious from what part of the coutnter top
do you start your measurment for code compliant spacing,not on a penninsular or an island but a standard kitchen?
I have always started from the back corner and go from there.have never beeen dinged for it.
But at the same time have always thought the measurement should start from the front edge and wrap around the corner.
I know what you are thinking if you thought it should be from the front edge,then why are you starting from the rear corner.let`s just say that since it`s been okay to start from rear all this time why stir the pot :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I have always started from the back corner and go from there.have never beeen dinged for it.
But at the same time have always thought the measurement should start from the front edge and wrap around the corner.
You could start anywhere you want along the wall 210.52(3)(C)(1). As long as the end result is that no point along the wall is more than 24" from a receptacle and as long as a counter space 12" or wider has a receptacle.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Allen, maybe this will help.

1099601197_2.jpg

Notice the spacing is along the open wall space as pointed out by Infinity.

Roger

[ July 27, 2005, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

hurk27

Allen the connecting edge is the dotted line across the peninsular in the above illastration. Also if there is a break in an island or peninsular such as a sink or cook top/range, it would then treat each space on each side of this break as seperate spaces or islands/peninsulars as per 210.52(C)(4):
(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by range tops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)(1), (2), and (3).
:D

allenwayne

Wayne your missing the point I was trying to make,it had nothing to do with the penninsular.Look at the drawing :D The depth of a counter top is 25 in. doesn`t that area count in our measurements??
It would count in any other room so what makes the counter top different.In any other habitable room we have to measure along the floor line.if there was a 2 ft. wall then a corner we still have to measure from the doorway.
Isn`t that part of the counter useable space !!!
As I think of this I still measure from the corner for my lay out but that`s because I have never been giged for it.I have always wondered why in a room it matters,but not on countertops.
I have been tagged for not havinga recep. on a 2 ft wall in a kitchen but I can install a recep. to cover tops and those 25 ins. are not part of the equation ;)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I don't quite follow your discussion, as I don't see which receptacle, or which space, you are suggesting might be in violation. Can we do this: Let's call the island receptacle #1 (like the pitcher in a baseball field). Then number the others starting at the bottom right, and working counter-clockwise, so that the one to the right of the sink is #2, and the one between the range and the fridge is #6, and the peninsula receptacle is #8 (don't count the fridge, and don't look for the short-stop position).

Which receptacle is the problem? Or perhaps the question should be, the area between which two receptacles has the problem?

roger s deas

Originally posted by charlie b:
I don't quite follow your discussion, as I don't see which receptacle, or which space, you are suggesting might be in violation.
Join the club Charlie. :D

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Allen you are correct. The wide dark blue "L" shaped section to the right of the sink appears to be a wall. The first receptacle should be on the side wall, if the distance from the end of the "L" to the sink is more than 48" then two receptacles are required.

jimwalker

Allen ,your right but have never had it tagged.Would be field day if i was an inspector and wanted to right lots of red tags :D

allenwayne

Thank you infinity,that area that is within th L shape to the RIGHT of the sink is the area that has me reposting .That area starts from the front edge of the counter that is on a wall and then goes left to the simk.
The measurement is OK from the sink but,if measured from the start of the counter to 1st possible recep. ( as shown on back wall ) then the clostest 1 st. recep would be 26 in.,27 in. or so from the edge of the cabinet. :D

allenwayne

Jim you posted before I did :eek: Oh yeah there would be a field day since the trade says that 1st 25 ins. is invisible :eek:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

OK. Now I see what you mean. Presuming that the dark blue line represents wall space, then along the horizontal dark blue line on the bottom right is a 25 inch countertop area without a receptacle. Since this is a figure from one of Mike Holt's books, I'll send him a note, suggesting that he take another look at this figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.