Knox Box Monitoring

Sean.Day72

Received a comment from the Fire Marshall that the Knox box tamper switch at the main entrance of the building is required to be monitored on the fire alarm system. I took a deep dive into NFPA72 and Florida Fire Prevention code and don't see this requirement? I'm I missing it?? This is a small building with no central monitoring site. The FACP is in a mechanical room that will have very little foot traffic. Has anyone had to deal with this? Anything else I should consider?

Thank you

Todd0x1

That seems odd to want to alert the fire department that the fire department is already there taking your keys. I thought the tamper switch was to tie in to security system so notification is received when the knox box is accessed.

Sean.Day72

I got him on the phone, he said it's actually not required. Regardless I'm connected it to the access control system to send a low priority alarm in case it's left open. The owner will actually be putting keys and a HID prox card in the box.

hillbilly1

I got him on the phone, he said it's actually not required. Regardless I'm connected it to the access control system to send a low priority alarm in case it's left open. The owner will actually be putting keys and a HID prox card in the box.
I would think it would be a high priority alarm, if it’s opened by someone who has stolen a key, the owner would want the alarms to go off, if it is an actual first responder, the alarm going off would not matter, the owner would be notified too.