Knox Box Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean.Day72

Received a comment from the Fire Marshall that the Knox box tamper switch at the main entrance of the building is required to be monitored on the fire alarm system. I took a deep dive into NFPA72 and Florida Fire Prevention code and don't see this requirement? I'm I missing it?? This is a small building with no central monitoring site. The FACP is in a mechanical room that will have very little foot traffic. Has anyone had to deal with this? Anything else I should consider?

Thank you

Todd0x1

That seems odd to want to alert the fire department that the fire department is already there taking your keys. I thought the tamper switch was to tie in to security system so notification is received when the knox box is accessed.

Sean.Day72

I got him on the phone, he said it's actually not required. Regardless I'm connected it to the access control system to send a low priority alarm in case it's left open. The owner will actually be putting keys and a HID prox card in the box.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I got him on the phone, he said it's actually not required. Regardless I'm connected it to the access control system to send a low priority alarm in case it's left open. The owner will actually be putting keys and a HID prox card in the box.
I would think it would be a high priority alarm, if it’s opened by someone who has stolen a key, the owner would want the alarms to go off, if it is an actual first responder, the alarm going off would not matter, the owner would be notified too.

Status
Not open for further replies.