Language Barrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

frizbeedog

A Personal Request: Please keep your politics, and personal feelings out of this one. Just the facts at hand please. Thank you. :smile:

Have you learned Spanish?

I feel very limited sometimes in the construction industry, both on construction sites and residential service work, by not being able to speak spanish.

Today was a good example. I koncked on the door and informed the tennant that the power was to be shut down for several hours while we replaced the service. I'm sure he didn't understand what I had said and told my apprentice as much. By the time I'd cut off the power he'd made his way to the side yard with a confused look on his face, then understanding as he put two and two together.

Along with all the other skills that are required to work in this trade do you feel this is going to become another necessary tool or skill needed to be succesfull?

What are your experinces?

BackInTheHabit

I think if you are wiring a lot of new residential homes with mexican speaking tradesman (i.e: framers, drywallers, painters) it would be beneficial to you. I haven't seen many of these tradesmen on commercial jobs.

I had a mexican that, who spoke English quite well, teach me some basic Spanish to use on the job. If you learn certain words or phrases it helps.

peter d

I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, and basically just trudged through it, thinking that it was a useless language to learn. Oooops. :roll:

I can read it somewhat well, and can piece together a few rudimentary sentences, but that's about it. At this point I'd like to relearn it.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
even after years of spanish in high school and college, the only thing I can remember is a few numbers and "hello". I deal with a lot of spanish speaking individuals in residential work and it does make it hard. I have a son who is now 3, and my wife and I had him start learning spanish at age 1. I'm not sure he knows the difference yet between the two languages because sometimes his sentences can contain english and spanish. There are certain things he only says in spanish. We felt with the direction this country is going it would be beneficial to him. He is also pretty good at sign language, and only because my wife knows it (needed it for a family member growing up) and wanted to pass it on. I doubt that would be useful on a job site though.

mdshunk

I took a few years of Spanish in high school, but remember little of it. I have promised myself several times to take a night class, and in fact even signed up and paid for one once, but never took the time to attend yet.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
mdshunk said:
I took a few years of Spanish in high school, but remember little of it. I have promised myself several times to take a night class, and in fact even signed up and paid for one once, but never took the time to attend yet.

I've thought about trying that rosetta stone program; just haven't gotten around to that one yet.

quogueelectric

peter d said:
I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, and basically just trudged through it, thinking that it was a useless language to learn. Oooops. :roll:

I can read it somewhat well, and can piece together a few rudimentary sentences, but that's about it. At this point I'd like to relearn it.
I dont feel that I have to learn annother countrys language to make it convenient for them to work with me. When in rome do as the romans do not make it easy for people who obviously dont want to learn your language but are willing to take your money. I dont begrudge any Immigrant for trying to better themselves. My heritage is Irish and Russian and they both could speak the lingo here when they came over or soon after that. Every other culture learns the language here what is the problem with south america?? I just dont get it. I am not trying to be offensive or racist or cruel but do the right thing at least try. I went to Poland a few years ago and I gave it a best effort to learn the lingo and bought a few translation dictionarys to carry around so that I could communicate to people even though slow and broken polish I could get my point across. What a nice country to visit they treated me like a celebrity btw. Elvis has entered the building.

Last edited:

frizbeedog

mdshunk said:

Marc, since I can't tell what part of the country Mockingbird Lane is in, can you tell me if this is something that you are thinking about for the same reasons I am? Just wondering. Thanks.

mdshunk

frizbeedog said:
Marc, since I can't tell what part of the country Mockingbird Lane is in, can you tell me if this is something that you are thinking about for the same reasons I am? Just wondering. Thanks.
I'll just lay it out for you. I'd like to figure out a way to hire and train electricians from a group of people who only seem to speak Spanish.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
quogueelectric said:
I dont feel that I have to learn annother countrys language to make it convenient for them to work with me. When in rome do as the romans do not make it easy for people who obviously dont want to learn your language but are willing to take your money. I dont begrudge any Immigrant for trying to better themselves. My heritage is Irish and Russian and they both could speak the lingo here when they came over or soon after that. Every other culture learns the language here what is the problem with south america?? I just dont get it. I am not trying to be offensive or racist or cruel but do the right thing at least try. I went to Poland a few years ago and I gave it a best effort to learn the lingo and bought a few translation dictionarys to carry around so that I could communicate to people even though slow and broken polish I could get my point across. What a nice country to visit they treated me like a celebrity btw. Elvis has entered the building.

While I don't disagree with you, I was trying to obey the OP's request:
frizbeedog said:
A Personal Request: Please keep your politics, and personal feelings out of this one. Just the facts at hand please. Thank you.

you completely missed that one, eh? :D

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
frizbeedog said:

Its in Mockingbird Heights, of course. ;)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
quogueelectric said:
Every other culture learns the language here what is the problem with south america??

You're aware Mexico is in North America, right? Maybe while they were skipping English class you were skipping Geography?:grin:

Same story as everyone else, took 3 years of Spanish in HS but hardly remember anything now. I'd like to take classes again. Where I live now, 70% of the population is Hispanic, you can see how this would be helpful.:cool:

K2500

Cow said:
You're aware Mexico is in North America, right? Maybe while they were skipping English class you were skipping Geography?:grin:

And you must be aware that spanish, or a form of it, is spoken from Mexico all the way down through south america.:smile:

Same story, dont speak it, wish i did. I will though, eventually.

mrdave

Spanish

Spanish

Spanish is a must here in So. Cal. Luckily I lived in mexico for couple of years when young.
More people are speaking it everyday.
It's hard to work in the trades here without it.
I am constantly being asked to translate for other contractors.

The funny thing is all the really smart people I know are teaching their kids to speak chinese now.That's the future.

There are several ways to learn spanish. I learned most from helpers. They learned how to do Electrical...and I can tell someone how to move faster about 5 different ways in spanish.

Other way is to get spanish speaking girl/boy friend.

My brother just started on rosseta stone CD and likes it. Good Luck.
y Buenos Noches.

Status
Not open for further replies.