Language Barrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

macmikeman said:
I don't speak Tagalog, Korean, Chinese, Japanese (ok some, not as much as my wife and kids can), Samoan, Micronesian, Spanish, HAWAIIAN (ok some, but not as much as my kids), Tahitian, or Chamoro. All of the above would be useful where I live.

Same here - with fewer Hawaiian but growing....

I have worked with someone speaking one of most of those languages as a first language at some point, and English to some degree.

I know many GC's who have not only picked up some Spanish but a few who are more fluent than native speakers in various dialects - not kidding. Extremely helpful as much of their crews are bilingual. I also know a few guys who although may be from what we refer to as 'Latin America' can not understand each other due to regional dialect. Much like my difficulty with the Scots.... (Much less of difficulty with Irish, Aussie, NZ and "England" English - even Cockney...)

Even though a huge portion of this country used to be part of Spain/Mexico, and France - the borders crossed many people - and I think it is a shame that many more people are not bilingual or at least more tolerant of ESL, or non-speakers of English or should I say the Websters American lexicon which includes words and phrases from about a half-dozen or so languages.

I know a number of words from Spanish, and Chinese useful to work - and a number useful in a fight or getting a date.... :grin:

I'll also share a funny story about how to learn Spanish FAST!
While in Spain (Madrid) - I tried most of my ineffectual "Spanish/Mexican/other" with exceptionally little effect.... After getting directions from a hotel to where I could park my HUGE (comparatively) car, I accidentally pulled into the wrong garage - got into an elevator, and got out where I thought I would be walking into a hotel lobby - it was a BANK, a CLOSED BANK!!!! Took 3 hours to get out of that one - and I was amazed at how much broken Spanglexican that came out of me.... I give everyone Kudos to even try to speak "English" to me since - 'cause I was one step from the pokey in a country I had no clue how to communicate in - from a simple mistake. :rolleyes:

And BTW it is pronounced 'HEF - Fey' or properly it would be "patron" - "pat - trOn'

Bob Kraemer

Just do like I do, when I start screaming and yelling, people who CLAIM they don't speak ENGLISH seem to understand real quick what I am saying. :mad:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Bob Kraemer said:
Just do like I do, when I start screaming and yelling, people who CLAIM they don't speak ENGLISH seem to understand real quick what I am saying. :mad:

I've always found it funny that laborers who gesture that they can't understand you seem to always understand the words "put the tools up".

Minuteman

I don't worry to much about speaking Spanish now.

There are a very large number of legal mexican-american laborers here. However, Oklahoma passed the strictest illegal alien law in the country. Most illegal have left. In fact, the wife of a GC friend is a "English as Second Language" teach at a elementary school. After the new law passed in October of 2007, they laid off 5 "English as Second Language" teachers and transferred my friends wife to the High School to teach French. (Her minor from college).

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
mivey said:
When the kids asked me if I wanted some "pop" I thought I was being exposed to some wild drug culture and declined the offer.:smile:

What would you like to drink? Soda? RC? (We got RC up here in Iowa, but you might have to look around a little!)

frizbeedog

Well done folks.

Well done folks.

To have come this far in a thread that could have been volitile, I thank you all. :smile:

I know this. There are more foriegn speaking people who know more english that I know of their language. Or, I should say, I meet more foriegners who are bilingual while I reamain stuck in one. I'm a onelingualist?

Just a perspective that makes me humble.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
frizbeedog said:
....but we don't know where that is.

I'm in Oregon.

See how easy that was. :grin:

Thank you for your participation.
One of the more subtle pleasures of the forum is learning some of the details over time. MacMikeMan is from Hawaii. :)

yursparky

Good one, dog

Good one, dog

Minuteman said:
I don't worry to much about speaking Spanish now.
Most illegal have left.
I wonder if they moved to Oregon....;)
I myself am from Ukraine, been here 15 years, without English I just don't see how you can enjoy the States to the fullest, it's such a shame for anyone to not learn the language of the country they are living in. They are missing alot! Or maybe they are not living here?

As far as me learning Spanish - I have entertained the idea at one point, but not for work reasons, I just don't like standing in line in a store and have two punks laugh and talk in Spanish and looking at me at the same time. Just glad I carry that .380

Sorry, I can't keep the politics out of it - WHERE'S THE FENCE?

edit: delete "punks" substitute "gangbangers"

frizbeedog

Good Job

Good Job

by frizbeedog's request my signature is now -
I'm here just so I can retire as a senior member when I get my 100 posts.
Ok you made it. Now fix that signature to one worthy of a Senior member. :grin: :D :D

mivey

grich said:
What would you like to drink? Soda? RC? (We got RC up here in Iowa, but you might have to look around a little!)
I'll take an RC Cola and a Moon-Pie please. :smile:

yursparky

frizbeedog said:
Ok you made it. Now fix that signature to one worthy of a Senior member. :grin: :D :D
:D:D:D:D How's this -----

Last edited by a moderator:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Was on a job the other day and the super and the EC started talking Korean to each other. The Super apologized saying that the EC's English wasn't that good. I told him no problem as long as you interpret him "exactly" as he said it.:roll:

RHJohnson

I grew up in the 40's in a small town, street I lived on about a city block long. Probably 2 out of 3 families on that street were from other countries, and I don't think any 2 were from the same. They all spoke english, broken, but english. I guess because of that I learned to talk to about anyone and understand any accent or broken english. My dad was from another country, and my wife is. I've even been able to move around in Asia, without speaking the language. It seems people appreciate my trying to speak, and point, or whatever I come up with, and are usually smiling and happy to help me. I tell my wife I have a lot of fun and enjoy being a minority. What little language skills I do pick up are gone in a couple months back home. I do feel you need to speak, (its more a responsibility) to speak the language of the country where you are......

Status
Not open for further replies.