Larger terminals for EGC?

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Yes, add the code required main bonding jumper in the service equipment and remove the EGC. Note that is not even the correct term for that conductor as it is on the line side of the OCDP, and is actually a Supply Side Bonding Jumper and not an EGC.

There is no issue with connecting the GEC to the neutral in the meter can. Most meter cans have a lug for that purpose. The connection of the GEC in the meter is compliant with the code.
I think the op needs a picture of this. I just put one in that had a lug for this but i didn't take one. Most of the ones I install don't have a lug for this though

Occupation
Solar EPC
I think the op needs a picture of this. I just put one in that had a lug for this but i didn't take one. Most of the ones I install don't have a lug for this though
I won’t know exactly until the power company comes out to open the can and pull the meter, so I am trying to prepare for that.

I’m not sure how else it would be possibly be because the GEC goes up into the meter from the ground.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks I’m wondering why the ahj approved the plans with the bond in the meter
For some reason the no EGC ahead of the service disconnect confuses many people. Thye fail to understand that all metal parts are bonded to the neutral. As you've stated you would just remove the EGC from the service raceway but there is one other thing worth noting from your drawing.

The service raceway is EMT so some form of bonding beyond a standard locknut on the EMT connector is required. If there are concentric or eccentric KO's then a bonding bushing with a SSBJ is required on one end of the raceway. For a full size KO you can use a bonding locknut or bonding wedge.

Occupation
Solar EPC
For some reason the no EGC ahead of the service disconnect confuses many people. Thye fail to understand that all metal parts are bonded to the neutral. As you've stated you would just remove the EGC from the service raceway but there is one other thing worth noting from your drawing.

The service raceway is EMT so some form of bonding beyond a standard locknut on the EMT connector is required. If there are concentric or eccentric KO's then a bonding bushing with a SSBJ is required on one end of the raceway. For a full size KO you can use a bonding locknut or bonding wedge.
Good note

It's not shown in the image but this is a panel being added in front of the old main panel, so I will also likely need to add the EGC from the new load center to old panel which was previously the first disconnect. And I'll don't see an exception for running an EGC separate from the existing SER cable which isn't in conduit in the attic, so I'll likely have to run all new or put it in the same conduit.

Occupation
Solar EPC
Yes, add the code required main bonding jumper in the service equipment and remove the EGC. Note that is not even the correct term for that conductor as it is on the line side of the OCDP, and is actually a Supply Side Bonding Jumper and not an EGC.

There is no issue with connecting the GEC to the neutral in the meter can. Most meter cans have a lug for that purpose. The connection of the GEC in the meter is compliant with the code.
I am using a Square D homeline panel, am I correct in thinking that I can land the Service Neutral on the top bar, which will then turn my branch neutral bars here into both Neutral/Ground bars, and I will originate my EGCs on those bars?

Thus not needing an isolated ground bar and jumper?

(And install the provided bonding screw for the enclosure.)

Image (32).jpg

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I am using a Square D homeline panel, am I correct in thinking that I can land the Service Neutral on the top bar, which will then turn my branch neutral bars here into both Neutral/Ground bars, and I will originate my EGCs on those bars?

Thus not needing an isolated ground bar and jumper?

(And install the provided bonding screw for the enclosure.)

View attachment 2569520
That is correct, IF this breaker is the Service disconnect.
Once you leave that enclosure, you need 4 wires, with the Neutral (grounded conductor) and Equipment Ground isolated from each other.

kwired

Electron manager
Are you sure? The standard SQ-D bars (PxGTACP where ‘x’ is the number of positions) are rated for #4 through 14.
And if you do need larger than 4 AWG there are a couple options to attach a larger lug to multiple ports on the original bar and you can land at least up to 2/0 conductor on those.

kwired

Electron manager
I’ll try to upload an image of the plan section in a moment.

essentially, the connection between service Neutral, EGC,and GEC is shown as happening in the meter. From the meter on, there is an isolated EGC conductor that is not jumped/bonded to neutral anywhere further down the system.
GEC is permitted by NEC to connect anywhere between the service disconnecting means and the point of connection to service drop/lateral conductors. A meter socket is usually within that location though some localities or POCO's do prohibit landing the GEC in the meter, NEC is silent about landing in the meter enclosure.

The separation of neutrals and EGC's however takes place beyond the service disconnect.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I need to run a #6 EGC from a meter to a load center. N/G bond is in the meter can. Using a SquareD 200A panel with 225A busbar but the "branded" grounding bars they sell are too small to accept a #6.

You are almost certainly wrong. There are no standard ground bars these days that can't accept a #6. The most common SQ-D accept #4 in all terminals.