Laundry Dryer requires AFCI GFCI protection?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Eliminating the receptacle (direct wire) is about the only way to exempt it from GFCI.

The rules in 210.8(A) apply to receptacle outlets.

The other way but usually not too practical in a dwelling is to supply with a circuit of over 150 volts to ground.

I see that 2023 NEC has included clothes dryers in the list that was moved from 422.5, and this would require GFCI for dryers regardless if in dwelling or non dwelling (150 volts to ground or less and 60 amps or less).

Going to be fun when we change the adopted code here as we are still officially on 2017 and when it gets updated (if any time soon) will likely skip 2020 and go to 2023. Because I hang out on this site I am somewhat familiar with some changes but still find things I wasn't aware of like this one.
Skipping a code cycle is tough. WA skipped the 08 and was hard lesson and they will never skip again

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Sound about right.

If death from a good 120v electrical shock can take several hours, there is time to leave the area. Not sure its possible to differentiate between a heart attack from natural causes, defibrillation by electric shock, CO poisoning, or suffocation (all are asphyxia), unless the body was still energized at some offending appliance. Coroner autopsy may also be unusual for heart attack victims, if natural causes is possible.

Data exists for hazardous occupations, and natural causes of death, but unless it occurs while doing electrical work electrocution is not easy to prove.
Burn marks on the body help.
An area electrician suffered a pretty severe shock. The fall from the ladder disconnected him. Dr suggested an overnight because dearth isn’t always immediate after shock.

kwired

Electron manager
Burn marks on the body help.
An area electrician suffered a pretty severe shock. The fall from the ladder disconnected him. Dr suggested an overnight because dearth isn’t always immediate after shock.
Monitoring O2 levels as well as frequent lab work on your blood and they can determine if some internal organ may have failed, which could allow them to treat that as soon as they discover it instead of you suddenly collapsing at work, home, etc. and possibly not having any time left to deal with the damages.