LED dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What is the purple and grey wire for on a led dimmer, can i dim the led without using those wires on one led. what about 10 led lights on one dimmer if rated for it?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
What is the purple and grey wire for on a led dimmer, can i dim the led without using those wires on one led. what about 10 led lights on one dimmer if rated for it?
Pretty sure that’s for 0-10volt dimming which takes a certain switch and a cable to go with it.

I’ve never paid enough attention to see if they make lights with both line voltage dimming and 0-10volt dimming capabilities.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If you short those two wire’s together, it will dim down to the minimum setting, which is usually around 20 or so percent. Any other type dimming will require a 0-10 volt dimmer which will have two extra wires that are purple and gray.

cadpoint

Been burned on that this year, the boss said Led 4" that had five wires, but didn't supply a five conductor MC...
First time I ever touched one, I didn't know.

Not my favorite thing - touch'n it twice!

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
What is the purple and grey wire for on a led dimmer can i dim the led without using those wires on one led. what about 10 led lights on one dimmer if rated for it?
"What is the purple and grey wire for on a led dimmer"
O-10 dimming.

"can i dim the led without using those wires on one led."
A little confusing. If you use a 0-10 dimmer and do not use those leads the dimmer switch will only turn lights on and off. Now you can use 0-10 leads of the dimmer and not use the power leads and you can control the light level. Just wire the hot and switch leg toghter.
There Other combination that can be done for other setting as well.
Like skip 0-10 on fixture you want the switch to control yet not dim down.
Let's say you an open office area. Isle lights and cubical lights on same switch. Hook 0-10 to cubical lights and not to isle lights. Cubicles dim and isle stay full Brite yet all get shut off when not needed. Lot of combinations of one uses there imagination.

. "what about 10 led lights on one dimmer if rated for it?'
If it's a 0-10 dimmer and 0-10 dimmable led fixtures it should be fine.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
"can i dim the led without using those wires on one led."
A little confusing. If you use a 0-10 dimmer and do not use those leads the dimmer switch will only turn lights on and off.
He's asking if, instead of using the 0-10v dimming, can he NOT use the purple/gray wires and instead use a standard wall dimmer.

Only if the fixture is compatible, like these....

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I just wired a basement with 2x2 LED drop ins. They required these specific dimmers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I see now
Thank you
He's asking if, instead of using the 0-10v dimming, can he NOT use the purple/gray wires and instead use a standard wall dimmer.

Only if the fixture is compatible, like these....

Don't get confused here. This fixture, like most commercial fixtures can be ordered various types of dimming drivers. It isn't that a single part number is compatible with multiple dimming types, which is whatt I first thought Tulsa was saying.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Don't get confused here. This fixture, like most commercial fixtures can be ordered various types of dimming drivers. It isn't that a single part number is compatible with multiple dimming types, which is whatt I first thought Tulsa was saying.
Thanks. I didn't look too far into the description, thinking that was one I'd looked at previously 🤔

More diligence in the future 😬

Strathead

Occupation
Thanks. I didn't look too far into the description, thinking that was one I'd looked at previously 🤔

More diligence in the future 😬
I think you will find they aren't dual rated in any case. They are different drivers and the fixtures can be ordered with different options. I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of drivers that are both.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I think you will find they aren't dual rated in any case. They are different drivers and the fixtures can be ordered with different options. I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of drivers that are both.
Maybe my memory got the best of me, but I was sure I've seen them and thought the link I posted was the one. I know for certain they are available for LED strip lighting with universal dimming

Strathead

Occupation
Maybe my memory got the best of me, but I was sure I've seen them and thought the link I posted was the one. I know for certain they are available for LED strip lighting with universal dimming

Interesting. That is one of the reasons I frequent this site. Always learning something. I had not seen a driver (or didn't pay attention) that has multiple dimming capacity. I am sure that if this one does they have them for other lights as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.