LED line voltage lights tripping SQ D Homeline combo AFCI/GFCI breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozark01

I have several LED 120v lights on a circuit being fed by a 15 amp SQ D Homeline combo AFCI/GFCI breaker. The breaker holds until I cut on the lights and then it trips. There is 10 LED lights on the circuit so I thought that might be the problem so I tried it just one LED light and the breaker still trips. I tried several different breakers that work ok on other circuits so I know the breakers are working properly. ANy ideas how to fix this problem? Thanks!

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If you are sure the wire run is ok then I would move to the LED's
Are these screw based LED ?
Is this an name brand LED - there is plenty of substandard stuff out there.
Are these on a dimmer- if so remove the dimmer.
Check for any ground current.
Check for neutral ground fault
Open the ground wire temporarily to see if this resolves the issue.

Co-mingled neutral with other circuits.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Where are these lights installed that they need gfci protection? Or do they just happen to be on a circuit with other items that need gfci?

ozark01

If you are sure the wire run is ok then I would move to the LED's
Are these screw based LED ? Not screw base...hardwired to box.
Is this an name brand LED - there is plenty of substandard stuff out there. Lithonia fixtures
Are these on a dimmer- if so remove the dimmer. No dimmer
Check for any ground current. Need to check
Check for neutral ground fault Need to check
Open the ground wire temporarily to see if this resolves the issue. Need to check

Co-mingled neutral with other circuits.
Single neutral with one hot on circuit.

ozark01

Where are these lights installed that they need gfci protection? Or do they just happen to be on a circuit with other items that need gfci?

This is new construction and the cost of the combo units was about the same as the afci breakers and the gfci breakers so I bought the combo for everything. I think I may be sorry I did that!

ozark01

I had this problem with AFCIs and LEDs in recessed cans. I was able to substitute one incandescent lamp and the breaker quit tripping.

I'll give it a shot....thanks! I have read that panel mounted filters are available to solve this problem but so far I have not been able to find one.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the filter prevents the AFCI from seeing the "false" arc signature, does it also prevent the AFCi from seeing a real one....assuming that a real arc signature can even exist at dwelling unit voltages?

John120/240

I had this problem with AFCIs and LEDs in recessed cans. I was able to substitute one incandescent lamp and the breaker quit tripping.

Creative solution but doesn't that contradict installing LED's ? I can see it now; One keyless for each switchleg of LED can lights with incandescents installed to facilitate the operation of LED's on AFCI circuits. Locate Keyless in a out of the way closet.

ozark01

Update as to what the problem was. It was me! It was the first time I had used the Homeline panel with the arc fault and gfci breakers without the pigtails and I assumed I knew what to do so I did not read the instructions. Once I corrected the panel connections everything works like a champ. I appreciate the reply's and the attempts to help out a dummy!

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
If the filter prevents the AFCI from seeing the "false" arc signature, does it also prevent the AFCi from seeing a real one....assuming that a real arc signature can even exist at dwelling unit voltages?
I think we would all like to know that.

What kind ot LED was that, ie: screw base, off brand manufacture???
Phillips brand, G U base LEDs.

Creative solution but doesn't that contradict installing LED's ? I can see it now; One keyless for each switchleg of LED can lights with incandescents installed to facilitate the operation of LED's on AFCI circuits. Locate Keyless in a out of the way closet.
I can't wait till I retire so I can make some part time money ripping out AFCI's. In the meantime I pray every day that these things get installed in the right lawyer's house and a class action lawsuit gets filed.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Update as to what the problem was. It was me! It was the first time I had used the Homeline panel with the arc fault and gfci breakers without the pigtails and I assumed I knew what to do so I did not read the instructions. Once I corrected the panel connections everything works like a champ. I appreciate the reply's and the attempts to help out a dummy!

I'm glad you screwed up and came back to admit it. Makes it not so lonely for the rest of us that have BFs on occasion. That and dealing with AFCIs can be a real headache on occasion even when you have done everything correctly.

We don't do a lot of homes and the last one is exclusively LED. Owners choice. We will see how it all works together.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Action Dave related his own experience and Sierrasparky quoted that and asked AD what kind of LEDs.
Then SS for some reason took AD's answer as intended to apply to the OP instead.
Talking across each other.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Pretty clear to me. How is it you know what brand and type of LED where used. The OP makes no statement to that fact other than Line voltage.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Action Dave related his own experience and Sierrasparky quoted that and asked AD what kind of LEDs.
Then SS for some reason took AD's answer as intended to apply to the OP instead.
Talking across each other.
You are correct. I see it now but could not have without your insight.

Pretty clear to me. How is it you know what brand and type of LED where used. The OP makes no statement to that fact other than Line voltage.
I didn't....... I thought you were asking me about my experience since you quoted my post.

ozark01

They are Lithonia hardwired...not a recessed retrofit. Sixteen LED lights on the circuit with two dimmers serving two separate rooms. The only negative I see is that the fixtures come on full brightness and then dim to the preset level on the dimmer. Not a big problem really.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
They are Lithonia hardwired...not a recessed retrofit. Sixteen LED lights on the circuit with two dimmers serving two separate rooms. The only negative I see is that the fixtures come on full brightness and then dim to the preset level on the dimmer. Not a big problem really.
Perhaps one day they'll design the dimmer so they just gradually increase to preset level. As those are, going from total darkness to bright can give some the temporary effect of flash blindness.

Status
Not open for further replies.