LED low voltage driver/transformer with exposed terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
I'm on board with most everything in it, but when you're talking about covered terminals on a transformer installed above a caninet, there are "approved" scenarios which are far more likely to see trouble.

Like a table lamp without a bulb in it. What's to keep Joe Schmoe from sticking his finger in it? Or more probable would be his kid sticking fingers in it.

There is no practical way to guard the lamp socket until they give up on the use Edison base lamps altogether.

On the other hand there are very easy ways to enclose your line voltage connections to this power supply.

Here is a contactor with guarded terminals, would you install this without an enclosure?

2MMX4_AS01

James L

Occupation
Electrician
There is no practical way to guard the lamp socket until they give up on the use Edison base lamps altogether.

On the other hand there are very easy ways to enclose your line voltage connections to this power supply.

Here is a contactor with guarded terminals, would you install this without an enclosure?

2MMX4_AS01
Heck, there aren't any enclosures where a transformer is tapped into an overhead line. Those hacks ought to be enclosing all their connections, right?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
But the fact is that it's much more accessible.

So what I'm hearing you say is that you really don't care about safety at all, it's purely a matter of whether something is "by the book"

And if something is by the book, there's no chance of user neglect. But if it's not by the book it's definitely, 100% guaranteed to kill somenody

JFletcher

Personally, I would not install something like that w/o a cabinet, and I dont mean a kitchen cabinet.

There are a metric ton of drivers that conform to NEC specs w/o a cabinet; I'd use one of those.

shortcircuit2

I purchased some LED strip lighting to illuminate a standalone cabinet. Pretty bright, over 300 lumens per foot. It requires about 60 watts 12V to power. The driver I purchased for it came with a cord that you terminate on screw terminals on the side of the driver. There is no junction box and only a clear plastic cover that sits over the terminals, but it's open on either side. Aside from purchasing some sort of enclosure how am I supposed wire this thing? Or is an enclosure my only option? I'm putting the driver on top of the cabinet which is about 6" from the ceiling. It'll be fine up there, but I'm leery about the exposed terminals.

Is there some other way other than purchasing an enclosure and putting a couple of connectors (one for the power cord the other for the low voltage) in the side of it and setting it atop the cabinet?

mean-well-led-power-supply-sp-series-enclosed-power-supply-built-in-pfc-24v-240w.jpg

This is a similar driver (mine is 12v). Have any of you installed something like this and how did you do it? It's late Saturday, so I'm not going to be impatient, just whenever you get around to answering over the next couple days.

LOOK at the RU (UL) listing label on the product. That signifies the equipment is a "Recognized Unit" by UL. Any equipment with this listing is not approved for FIELD installation. The equipment is listed to be used in equipment that will be submitted to UL (or any NRTL) for final listing of a complete assembled product.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
LOOK at the RU (UL) listing label on the product. That signifies the equipment is a "Recognized Unit" by UL. Any equipment with this listing is not approved for FIELD installation. The equipment is listed to be used in equipment that will be submitted to UL (or any NRTL) for final listing of a complete assembled product.

Thanks for that bit of info. I just looked into it and see that you're right.

It's funny, I bought a cheaper kit on Amazon first, but it wasn't bright enough. She got all mad because she had suggested this other website (superbrightleds.com). She even asked me if the ones I purchased were UL listed which I just sort of BS'd my way through because I didn't actually know and couldn't find any markings.

I'm sure this will just be another problem she has with the job. She's had a lot of trouble with all the other contractors. I was the one hero.

But basically I'm probably just going to end up buying a small enclosure and installing this anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.