Legally Required Standby Power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARF

The electrical drawings indicate that an automatic transfer switch and it's associated distribution panel is in the same room as the Incoming normal power distribution switchboard. Any opinions on whether this condition is contrary to the 2005 NEC?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
The electrical drawings indicate that an automatic transfer switch and it's associated distribution panel is in the same room as the Incoming normal power distribution switchboard. Any opinions on whether this condition is contrary to the 2005 NEC?

Is it legally required or optional?
Big difference. Just asking.

ARF

Check out the thread's title. ;)
No difference. It would be different if we were talking about emergency equipment. But it would not be the NEC that threw the flag on this play. It would be NFPA 110, paragraph 7.2.2.

Thanks Charlie.
Not sure who has flagged this but the system is 208/120volt three phase so we are not rated above the 150volts to ground.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Sorry, I may have caused confusion with my use of the word flag. All I meant was that (1) LRS and normal can share a room, that (2) emergency and normal cannot share a room, and that (3) it is the other NFPA document, and not the NEC, that says that emergency and normal cannot share a room.

ARF

Sorry, I may have caused confusion with my use of the word flag. All I meant was that (1) LRS and normal can share a room, that (2) emergency and normal cannot share a room, and that (3) it is the other NFPA document, and not the NEC, that says that emergency and normal cannot share a room.

I understand.
My concern was that I recall seeing something regarding a fault on one system not being permitted to cause interruption of an adjacent system.

Status
Not open for further replies.