Leviton going for it

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've seen a couple of the Leviton 279 (50A) receptacles melt. We started using the Hubbell HBL9450A based on our own experiences and word on the street that the Leviton couldn't handle the duty cycle. The Hubbell from either of my suppliers is around $129 ea. without a special pricing agreement (SPA), with an SPA we pay around $80

I've also been reading the news about the struggles that car manufacturers are having with demand of EVs but I have a hard time believing that's anything more than temporary. I think EVs are coming whether the auto manufacturers, electricians, POCOs are ready or not.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
In general, this is really an issue with the product listing standards...compliance with the existing product standard can result in receptacle failures where the receptacle supplies an EV.

The problem with the listing standard is not the 50A receptacle its the garbage aluminum wire.

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've seen a couple of the Leviton 279 (50A) receptacles melt. We started using the Hubbell HBL9450A based on our own experiences and word on the street that the Leviton couldn't handle the duty cycle. The Hubbell from either of my suppliers is around $129 ea. without a special pricing agreement (SPA), with an SPA we pay around $80

I've also been reading the news about the struggles that car manufacturers are having with demand of EVs but I have a hard time believing that's anything more than temporary. I think EVs are coming whether the auto manufacturers, electricians, POCOs are ready or not.
Both of which state that they are industrial grade

Rob G - Seattle

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
what's wrong with Aluminum,
My problem is with the zombie corporate aluminum lobby from the 70's that keeps pushing the line that you can terminate small AWG aluminum like copper, same torque no noalox, then people act all surprised when an aluminum termination gets exposed to damp air then thermal runaway takes off and melts down a receptacle. Then they blame the receptacle or the workman.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
My problem is with the zombie corporate aluminum lobby from the 70's that keeps pushing the line that you can terminate small AWG aluminum like copper, same torque no noalox, then people act all surprised when an aluminum termination gets exposed to damp air then thermal runaway takes off and melts down a receptacle. Then they blame the receptacle or the workman.
Never had a problem with Aluminum. Any problem I ever see is from bad terminations.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Not seeing it.

5ebc2bd2f26b7014181e898c69723943.jpg
100,000 per month?? Yeah, right. Or maybe they are giving them away.

-Hal

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
But if you have different grades of product, all evaluated to the same product standard, how is the different grade defined?

If a receptacle exceeds the standard by 10% in some respect (say contact area) and another exceeds by 40%, how would a customer determine if those differences are meaningful?

Jon
Totally up to the manufacturer...there is no product standard requirements for heavy duty, commercial, industrial, or even EV grade receptacles. There are all listed to the same product standard, with some manufacturers adding more contact surface area, contact pressure, or making other changes to their product to improved the reliably of it.
The customer would have to rely on the manufacturer's information, or do a tear down of the device and compare it with a "standard" device.
In the case of the receptacles used for EV, you can make part of your judgement just based on weight of the device.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Any problem I ever see is from bad terminations.
Right and you probably see problems from dry AL terminations not copper, statistically a "properly terminated" to UL spec small wire aluminum termination is more likely to fail than the equivalent copper one.
Detailed independent tests of UL486C by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission have proved it insufficient for AL wire. The manufacturers bamboozled UL into approving 'dry' wire terminations with their huge checks and they will plague the US for decades to come. The EV chargers were just the latest thing to trust aluminum with a large thermocycling load and got burned.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Right and you probably see problems from dry AL terminations not copper, statistically a "properly terminated" to UL spec small wire aluminum termination is more likely to fail than the equivalent copper one.
Detailed independent tests of UL486C by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission have proved it insufficient for AL wire. The manufacturers bamboozled UL into approving 'dry' wire terminations with their huge checks and they will plague the US for decades to come. The EV chargers were just the latest thing to trust aluminum with a large thermocycling load and got burned.
We all get you don't like AL wire.

As far as EV receptacles. I have never seen a failed receptacle in person but all of the pictures I have seen have had 2 things in common.

(1) Leviton power receptacles, which in my opinion are garbage after they redesigned them years ago.
(2) Supply wires connecting the receptacle were copper.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
We all get you don't like AL wire.

As far as EV receptacles. I have never seen a failed receptacle in person but all of the pictures I have seen have had 2 things in common.

(1) Leviton power receptacles, which in my opinion are garbage after they redesigned them years ago.
(2) Supply wires connecting the receptacle were copper.
Always a romex too not ever copper SER or thhn.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The issue I have with these failures is the listing requirements. No conductive part is permitted to have more than a 30°C rise under the test conditions in the listing standard.
Those conditions are first the receptacle is subjected to 50 make and brake cycles at 150% of the rated current. After that the receptacle is run at 100 of rated load until there is no additional temperature rise for 3 consecutive temperature measurements taken 5 minutes apart.
If the device passes that, I see no reason why it would fail in the field, other than installation error, or the manufacturer making changes after the original listing changes that are not being caught by the required random testing of the on going production.