Leviton going for it

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The standard is a minimum requirement. Have your local Hubbell rep show you cross-sections of the various duplex receptacles all meeting the same standard. They are not equal. Are all automobiles equal because they all meet the required government standards?

I actually have no idea if this is any higher quality than their standard version, but it's certainly possible.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
The issue I have with these failures is the listing requirements. No conductive part is permitted to have more than a 30°C rise under the test conditions in the listing standard.
Those conditions are first the receptacle is subjected to 50 make and brake cycles at 150% of the rated current. After that the receptacle is run at 100 of rated load until there is no additional temperature rise for 3 consecutive temperature measurements taken 5 minutes apart.
If the device passes that, I see no reason why it would fail in the field, other than installation error, or the manufacturer making changes after the original listing changes that are not being caught by the required random testing of the on going production.
I honestly think both installer errors and the manufacturers pull fast ones or have counterfeit devices show up.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The standard is a minimum requirement. Have your local Hubbell rep show you cross-sections of the various duplex receptacles all meeting the same standard. They are not equal. Are all automobiles equal because they all meet the required government standards?

I actually have no idea if this is any higher quality than their standard version, but it's certainly possible.
Yes, the standard is the minimum requirement for the product being listed, but given the required tests to get the listing, these issues should not be occurring.