Light fixture identified and listed for use with in closet storage space

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Cutsheet says ETL Listed to UL 1598 Standards...I guess its meeting UL 1598 standards?

That other light fixture doesn't say anywhere that its suitable for use with in closet storage space....May be i missed somewhere?

UL1598 is "Fixtures" not necessarily closet space./

kwired

Electron manager
How about the one which was suggested by Lee? It explicitly states it complies with NEC sections? I see that as being identified with in closet storage space.
In the information linked to it says "Meets the requirements of the 2017 National Electrical Code: Articles 410.16A(1)(3), C(1)(3), (5), 410.52, and 410.74 (A)(B)."

410.16(A)(1)(3) is the section that says "suitable for installation within the closet storage space".

Many other luminaires are suitable for use in a closet, but not necessarily within "the closet storage space" as defined in 410.2.

kwired

Electron manager
If it is not listed for use in the "closet storage space" then it must be 6 or even 12 inches depending on luminaire type (typically 12" for incandescent luminaires) from the "storage space"

"Closet fixture" is marketing terminology more so than code or listing terminology. Many luminaires are NEC compliant in a closet but aren't marked "closet fixture".

shortcircuit1

It appears to me to meet the Code. It shows ETL listing so my UL contact likely has no input

Here's one
https://creativeleddesigns.com/product/led-lighted-closet-rod/

In the information linked to it says "Meets the requirements of the 2017 National Electrical Code: Articles 410.16A(1)(3), C(1)(3), (5), 410.52, and 410.74 (A)(B)."

410.16(A)(1)(3) is the section that says "suitable for installation within the closet storage space".

Many other luminaires are suitable for use in a closet, but not necessarily within "the closet storage space" as defined in 410.2.

That's what i was mentioning that fixture meets the requirements of NEC and identified for use with in closet storage space.

shortcircuit1

If it is not listed for use in the "closet storage space" then it must be 6 or even 12 inches depending on luminaire type (typically 12" for incandescent luminaires) from the "storage space"

"Closet fixture" is marketing terminology more so than code or listing terminology. Many luminaires are NEC compliant in a closet but aren't marked "closet fixture".

One t hing that surprised me was NEC requires 12" for surface mounted LED but only 6" for fluorescent fixture. Dont LED's generate less heat compared to a traditional fluorescent fixture?

kwired

Electron manager
One t hing that surprised me was NEC requires 12" for surface mounted LED but only 6" for fluorescent fixture. Dont LED's generate less heat compared to a traditional fluorescent fixture?
Got me. LED's produce heat, but should be less overall heat than an equivalent light output of another type.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Status
Not open for further replies.