Light Fixture in Shower Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfloyd

I have an adult care facility under construction and the bathrooms are tiled floor to ceiling with a toilet, lav and shower in the same space with a floor drain. There is no separation between the actual shower and the other spaces in the room.
In this case, should the light over the lav be required to be totally enclosed and approved for damp or wet locations even though it is several feet away fom the shower valve and head?
The showers are roll in and the spray heads are on flex lines.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have an adult care facility under construction and the bathrooms are tiled floor to ceiling with a toilet, lav and shower in the same space with a floor drain. There is no separation between the actual shower and the other spaces in the room.
In this case, should the light over the lav be required to be totally enclosed and approved for damp or wet locations even though it is several feet away fom the shower valve and head?
The showers are roll in and the spray heads are on flex lines.

Since there is nothing to stop someone from accidentally (or deliberately) spraying the light fixture, I would go with an enclosed wet location fixture regardless of what the code requires. And I suspect it would be required.

I can just see somebody using the shower hose to wash down the walls. :)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Since there is nothing to stop someone from accidentally (or deliberately) spraying the light fixture, I would go with an enclosed wet location fixture regardless of what the code requires. And I suspect it would be required.

I can just see somebody using the shower hose to wash down the walls. :)

I'll second the motion. It's a reasonably foreseeable hazard, and if I was the AHJ I wouldn't let it slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.