Lighting Circuiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Curious for line voltage lighting and single pole switching how many of you bring the circuits to the light switch and not to a box in the ceiling. I understand if you bring circuit to light switch you don't need to bring neutral up to lights. What would be the advantage/disadvantage on either scenario? Say this was an office space with about 15 diff rooms/areas and each room has switching. Thanks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would run the power in and out of each switch box, unless you need unswitched power at the lights.

mstrlucky74

With MC you need a neutral at the switch location with EMT you do not.

So by bringing power to the light and not the switch you would not be bringing a neutral to the box. You would have a 12/2 from the light box to the switch but the white wire would be re-identified....so you would only have a hot and switch leg. Is that right? Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So by bringing power to the light and not the switch you would not be bringing a neutral to the box. You would have a 12/2 from the light box to the switch but the white wire would be re-identified....so you would only have a hot and switch leg. Is that right? Thanks.

Yes, so you would need to run a 3-wire cable to the switch. If you bring the power to the switch (H-N) then the neutral is already there so going from the switch to the light would be a 2-wire cable.

jeff48356

I always run power to the switch first. I hate switch loops with a passion, never use them, and was so glad that the NEC changed the code which discouraged their use by requiring a neutral wire at the switch box. They used a lot of them in the 50's thru 70's (in some areas), and it usually makes the work a lot more complicated when doing lighting upgrades. But gladly, most homes in my area are wired the proper way (with power going to switch box first and only cables feeding lights in the fixture boxes).

That being said, the only time I might use them is either in a basement when wiring switches to control existing pull-chain lights (in lieu of the chain), or likewise for bedroom closet lights using pull-chain lampholders. I would upgrade it to an LED fixture, then run a wire down the wall to a switch to control it.

mstrlucky74

Yes, so you would need to run a 3-wire cable to the switch. If you bring the power to the switch (H-N) then the neutral is already there so going from the switch to the light would be a 2-wire cable.

Yup got it. So in your type of work mostly bring power to switch for MC lighting?

BTW what's the reasoning NEC wants neutral in box for MC? Future changes?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
He is saying that, with a cable wiring method, you need a neutral at the switch for future use; with EMT, a neutral can be installed in the future if/when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.