Lighting in Resticted Zone of Tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbwsparky

I am working on a bathroom lighting project, and the plans are calling for wall mounted lighting on side wall over a tub.I am refering to Art.410.4(D).It seems as though I can install these fixtures so long as they meet the requirements. Can this be right or am I missing something?

Buck Parrish

410.10 (D) of the 08 book. This section cites the requirements. Obviously where subject to shower spray. They must be waterproof and gfci protected.
Are you on the 05 book?

rbwsparky

Yes. My concern is someone coming in contact with a luminaire while in water.I don't have fixtures yet, designer is aware of requirements though.Still waiting for owner to make the choice.

Buck Parrish

They must be surface mounted or recessed with in the zone. 8ft from the rim 3ft out. I can't recall seeing an indoor wall sconse suitable for this purpose.
It seems very dangerous to me.
Though their might well be some made. I have not used them.

rbwsparky

There is a seperate shower. This is just a soaker tub. Owner is just doing renovations to sell the home, they just use it like a hotel when they are in this area of the world. Asking price is $1.9 million if anyone is interested.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am working on a bathroom lighting project, and the plans are calling for wall mounted lighting on side wall over a tub.I am refering to Art.410.4(D).It seems as though I can install these fixtures so long as they meet the requirements. Can this be right or am I missing something?

You are correct. If there is no shower then you are pretty much clear to install wherever you want and fixture must be marked for damp location.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Thank you for all the help on this subject
You're welcome

They must be surface mounted or recessed with in the zone. 8ft from the rim 3ft out. I can't recall seeing an indoor wall sconse suitable for this purpose.
It seems very dangerous to me.
Though their might well be some made. I have not used them.
Buck, if this is a tub with no shower then the only requirement is the wall sconce must be damp location rated. It is true that your choice of fixtures may be limited because of this.

rbwsparky

I spoke with designer today, and came up with a plan to continue a balk head over sink to include recess lighting and another switch leg for lights over tub. I have a real concern with someone coming into contact with a light fixture while getting into or out of a tub. By the way ceing height is 9ft above tub. I think the NEC should look at this subject more closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.