Lightning strikes bridge, concrete strikes vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlietuna

I have seen an office building "with" lightning protection get struck by lightning and blew a concrete corner section of the building about the size of a VW..

broadgage

I presume that the very large current from the lightning, passed through the steel re-bar of the structure, which got so hot that water or damp within the concrete flashed to steam.
The rapid production of the steam could certainly blow pieces of the concrete off.
The internal reinforceing may have been damaged, and I would therefore hope that the structure has been examined by a structural engineer in order to see it is still safe to use.

Half a truth is often a great lie.

No pictures of the bridge were provided. No pictures of the concrete were provided. No other evidence than that of the story provided by the driver of the motor vehicle.

He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else

480sparky

So the media was hoodwinked, Ben?

Even the newspapers? The State Patrol? The hospital that's treating her?

Let's hear the true story about you and lighting and a kite and a key, then......

480sparky

Well, here ya go Ben: The poor media (save for your Almanac!) is getting the wool pulled over their eyes again.

http://www.kcci.com/news/18813629/detail.html

There's the name of the driver..... the hole in the bridge.... the chunk of concrete.

Just so you know Ben, I created the whole web site and video as a scam. So you've been hoodwinked, too.

HotConductor

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
I know I'm new around here too but this guy has nothing to offer but empty rhetoric. Maybe he's a politician in disguise. Is there any way I can set him to Ignore?

Well, here ya go Ben: The poor media (save for your Almanac!) is getting the wool pulled over their eyes again.

http://www.kcci.com/news/18813629/detail.html

There's the name of the driver..... the hole in the bridge.... the chunk of concrete.

Just so you know Ben, I created the whole web site and video as a scam. So you've been hoodwinked, too.

from: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200990226034

".....but did not immediately locate a pothole in the road where the lightning struck. The lightning likely knocked loose a piece of the road and sent it up through the windshield, troopers said."

It is just as likely that a chunk of concrete got stuck between the dual tires of a truck and dislodged. The shock of the sudden loud noise as the chunk crushes the windshield could easily be misidentified as thunder. Note that they did not refer to temporary loss of hearing that would be the consequence a lighning strilke that close, nor have her vehicle seem to suffered any electrical damage, especially if she 'drove through the lighting', another unlikely part of the story.

I also heard about trhe VW size concrete chunk, but the pictures associated with the original story show a fist size and a soccerball size chunk with a measuring tape lying next to them. I think it became an urban legend like the 20' gators in the NYC sewer system.

Last edited:

480sparky

No one ever said she or her vehicle was struck by the lighting, nor drove through it. The story all along is that the lightning struck the bridge above her.

The same TV station that has followed this story did air another story later that night, showing the chunks of concrete being placed in the hole.... fit like a glove.

Yea, Benny, I know... heresay. But I still haven't heard the real story about the kite and key, either. Wax philosophical all you want now.... I got me an "Ignore" button.......

enter-17592-3.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.