Local electrician dead; no lock-out

Status
Not open for further replies.

danel21

LOTO Not Enough

LOTO Not Enough

Sorry to hear of a brothers passing.

Several year back I was burned by an arc, losing all skin on the back of both hands and forearms to the elbow. In addition to these 2nd degree burns I also received 2 3rd degree spot burns from the plasma. My clothing was burnt away from my shoulders to my knees. Only my cotton underwear and T shirt kept me from being more seriously injured.

I had just finished preping the ends of 500 MCM for a splice when the operator decided that he needed the equipment. The circuit was locked out with a padlock provided by my employer for that purpose. What I did not know was that a master key was available to anyone who wanted it.

After healing I bought a set of locks and will no longer use anyone elses for LOTO. I have no intention of ever having to walk through another plant in my underwear.

I was never able to find the equipment operator, I am still looking after 12 years. He holds a special place in my heart and I've got just the place for him in the garden.

My standard practice now is have the only key to the LOTO, pull fuses and keep them in my pocket and watch the disconnect closley. When my coworkers laugh at my paranoia, I show them the scars.

Thats my story and why I follow LOTO faithfuly

Dan

James@CHA

danel21 said:
Sorry to hear of a brothers passing.

Several year back I was burned by an arc, losing all skin on the back of both hands and forearms to the elbow. In addition to these 2nd degree burns I also received 2 3rd degree spot burns from the plasma. My clothing was burnt away from my shoulders to my knees. Only my cotton underwear and T shirt kept me from being more seriously injured.

I had just finished preping the ends of 500 MCM for a splice when the operator decided that he needed the equipment. The circuit was locked out with a padlock provided by my employer for that purpose. What I did not know was that a master key was available to anyone who wanted it.

After healing I bought a set of locks and will no longer use anyone elses for LOTO. I have no intention of ever having to walk through another plant in my underwear.

I was never able to find the equipment operator, I am still looking after 12 years. He holds a special place in my heart and I've got just the place for him in the garden.

My standard practice now is have the only key to the LOTO, pull fuses and keep them in my pocket and watch the disconnect closley. When my coworkers laugh at my paranoia, I show them the scars.

Thats my story and why I follow LOTO faithfuly

Dan

Have you considered investing in at least a minimum level of PPE since this incident? FR Shirt and Pants?

jsharvey

Ppe

Ppe

James@CHA said:
Have you considered investing in at least a minimum level of PPE since this incident? FR Shirt and Pants?

James,, May I suggest you read up on your OSHA regs and NFPA 70E,, the employer is required to PROVIDE your PPE, YOU are required to use it. There are some limits to that, I believe footwear and your cotton underwear are your responsibility.

I haven't seen the '09 70E yet but the instructor at the training class I went to said that multimeters were being considered as part of your PPE? Anyone heard or seen anything about this?

J.S.Harvey

M. D.

James@CHA said:

James,..your comming off like a real cur with some of these posts ,..not sure you mean too,.. but for Pete's sake man , Dan lost his arm and hand skin..I'd bet he has considered PPE .. cold dude real cold ,.. thats the vibe ,....

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
brian john said:
The simple reply to the OP should be.

This is very sad, no one should be hurt at work much less die.
We all need to consider safety priority one.

Brian, that is a fitting end to this thread.

Our condolences to the family and friends.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.